Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Who's homeschooling Eclectic???

Posted by   + Show Post

are you gona stick with being eclectic?

or change?

did you switch to being an eclectic homeschooler from another method?

Eclectic Homeschool Method
Eclectic Homeschooling is a term that has become popular as homeschoolers gain confidence and become savvy consumers of different methods. It simply means picking and choosing what works best for you and not being afraid to make decisions or change your mind. An eclectic homeschooler may use one publisher for math and another for science. Or, she may even use a different math for each student. Eclectic homeschoolers are confident that they know what is best for their children and are highly independent in decision making.
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM
Replies (21-28):
romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I do!  It allows me to adjust not only to my children's needs, but sometimes the situation calls for something different.  A walk can turn into a lesson about how to put things in chronological order.  I tend to get board with repetition.

Gumberly
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM
I am definitely eclectic. I tend to lean towards classical and literature based but will try aosy anything. We are our fourth phonics program because the other three weren't working for us and our second math program. I try to find stuff that has the potential to work for more then one learning style but if it doesn't work for one of my kids I would have no problem changing things up.
I started with sunlight our first year and it helped me get through the initial phase of finding confidence and I still get some of our literature from it but would never go back to using it alone. It's not bad it's just not for us.
I am addicted to curriculum and I seriously have to keep myself in check. At the convention this year I told my husband to not let me wonder in the curriculum hall unsupervised because I would probably get sucked into something new and shinny lol. The good part is since I am always researching and reading up when something isn't working I already have a list of possible replacements.
amy_dawn
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I started out 'eclectic' and will continue that way for as long as I'm doing it. It allows me to tailor each subject to each child's learning strengths and levels.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
We will def keep going this route...maybe eventually I can call myself an unschooler. Really is my ultimate goal....if I could just learn to let go completely....
.Cat.
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I don't care how good it is, with a name like Rod and Staff, I wouldn't get past the cover. I'd just keep laughing.

Add: I checked it out... soooo not for me. Too much... erm... religion.

Quoting bren_darlene:

Have you never heard of Rod and Staff????  They have been around ever since I have been home educating (19 yrs).  They have great English and Spelling Curriculum!!

Quoting .Cat.:

He... hehe... hehehehhe... BWAHAHAA. ROD and STAFF? What kind of people come up with this!?

Quoting bren_darlene:

I use a wide variety.  ABeka, Bob Jones, Real books, make some of my own, Rod and Staff.  My first few years I used all ABeka until I got my feet good and wet.

--------
In support of my daughter and all 99% protestors! Take America Back! (Mae, Occupy Seattle, 10.10 - current!)

"Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; you are raising a human being."- Kittie Franz

"A society is best judged by how it treats its children."

tammie679
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

At first I didn't know what this was but when I read you definition YEP that's us.

tammie679
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

We use many different companies depending on the subject. This year I am leaning more towards Rod and Staff and Abeka with some Son Light  and Topic Studies. (topic study for us is just researching things the kids want to learn about).

Prayerlion
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:31 AM

I never could stick to any one program because there was always a little something I didn't like or it was way too expensive. And since I have five children to school, I also had to look for curriculum that could be passed down from on to another.

I started doing research for curriculum before my oldest even started PreK. I met some homeschooling familes who introduced me to the idea of homeschooling when my daughter was very young and ever since, I have researched to find what I thought was the best curriculum resource for the money. She is now in 9th grade and I have already planned out most of her high school curriculum.

I have  actually purchased books and started using them only to realize my mistake. I pick at my oldest daughter and call her my "guinea pig". She always gets to try the new stuff first. However, some of the things that worked for her, don't work for my younger kids, so I have had to make some changes to their work.

Whatever works,  is my motto.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)