Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What bothers you about homeschooling?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM
  • 31 Replies

what really gets in your craw(did i spell that right) about homeschooling,

the negatives about it?

by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:37 AM

i volunteer alot in our local public school. i am finishing my degree in special education and working at the school helps get my foot in the door so to speak so the only thing that bothers me about homeschooling is the fun stuff they miss out on with other kids. like playing heads up 7 up isnt the same with 2 kids. or the cut rhyming stuff the teachers do like 5-4-3-2-1 sit on ur bottom its time for fun or 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 ur papers should be away we are done. we do cute stuff like that too but these teachers have the coolest way to make it fun. i tell my daughter to put her stuff away its time for the next subject and she tosses it on a pile n says ill do it when were all finished.

Tiffanydshives
by Member on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, I hate the politics that surround so many families. I hate telling my daughter that it's not her, but me when a family decides we aren't "insert viewpoint here" for them.

I also hate overly militant homeschoolers who trust almost no one and really live up to certain homeschooler stereotypes. LOL

Oh and I also hate that spellcheck doesn't recognize homeschool as a real word. lol

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I don't know if I'm teaching him everything he needs to know. I keep running across stuff and I'm thinking to myself that I should be teaching him that. 

I don't know if we are going to continue homeschooling. This year we homeschooled because we couldn't buy a house in time to get out of this school district. My husband was very anti-homeschooling at the start but he seems to be warming up to the idea. I just wish we could make a decision now as to whether or not we are continuing. 

I wish people would not panic when they hear I'm homeschooling. Especially the people that have complemented me for how well I have taught my oldest over the past 5 years. What's different now?

I feel like I always have to defend my decision and fend off the socialization comments all the time. You do what works for your kids and I will do what works for mine!

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The negative I hate is that homeschooling isn't mainstream & so you get the cross eyed looks from people when you say that you homeschool. Also when people says " Oh I wish I could do that " like there has to be something extraordinary about you to homeschool. Oh & Mem I hate that spellcheck doesn't recognize it or unschool as real words! 

misselphaba
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

When people at the store (or whatever) are talking to my kids and ask them where they go to school.  The kids say that we homeschool.  Then the person who was talking to my kids stops talking to them and asks me "what about socializing".

Umm...they were socializing with YOU 30 seconds ago...YOU stopped.   LOL

Gumberly
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM
I hate how people eye me when I am out with my kids during school hours. Instead of just asking the stupid questions racing through their heads they look at me like I have 3 heads instead.
Oh and that people think all homeschoolers are exactly the same, you know because all public schoolers are all alike right?
How some homeschoolers think they are better then me because "insert reasons here" different then I do.
Of course the last one is just human nature I think :-(.
Danielle163
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 2:17 PM

The only thing that bothers me about homeschooling is homeschooling HERE. The attitudes of people are very narrow minded, if you don't hs because of religious reasons, or wear AC/DC t-shirts & aviator sunglasses....then obviously your not smart enough to hs children. I had one lady (that came to my rummage sale) rudely questioning me when we were discussing hs items. She looked me up & down and said incredulously "YOU do the homeschooling????"  Brother...............

HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I love everything about homeschooling. I agree with some of the above comments. They only thing I don't like is that people are so ignorant about it. I do find that the longer I do it, and they see how nice/smart/"normal" my son is, the less they bug me about it. The socialization question is the most ignorant question of all!

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

AbundanceMagnet
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM
I also hate that spellcheck doesn't recognize homeschool as a real word. lol[/quote]. Bahahaha me too!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)