Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are there any Traditional Homeschoolers?

Posted by   + Show Post

any traditional homeschoolers?

hows it going?

Traditional Homeschool Method
This approach mimics what happens in the public school classroom. It compartmentalizes subject areas, uses textbooks, and relies on teacher-driven content.
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Replies (11-14):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:29 AM

We are eclectic so I guess we do some tradational.  We are doing Abeka for English and it is going fairly well.  My son is in 4th grade and it now ready for a more tradational approach but with a twist.  Last week he wrote his English assignment in code but he did such an awesome job with it.  He loved writing it that way.  I use textbooks when it suits me.  I probably use them more as a reference book.  I do like using only interesting ones though.  My kids many times will ask me to read to them out of them.  The other day I told my 7 year to go get a book he wanted to read and he picked his science textbook.  We are also doing teaching textbooks as well. They really enjoy that program.  I think I would consider it more of a tradational approach.  Science, History, and our other subjects are more Charlotte Mason and classical approach.

oredeb
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:21 AM

love this jen!!

i also use textbooks for helping me write my unit studies!

Quoting jen2150:

We are eclectic so I guess we do some tradational.  We are doing Abeka for English and it is going fairly well.  My son is in 4th grade and it now ready for a more tradational approach but with a twist.  Last week he wrote his English assignment in code but he did such an awesome job with it.  He loved writing it that way.  I use textbooks when it suits me.  I probably use them more as a reference book.  I do like using only interesting ones though.  My kids many times will ask me to read to them out of them.  The other day I told my 7 year to go get a book he wanted to read and he picked his science textbook.  We are also doing teaching textbooks as well. They really enjoy that program.  I think I would consider it more of a tradational approach.  Science, History, and our other subjects are more Charlotte Mason and classical approach.

luvthesoap
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM

THat's what we did at first, but we couldn't keep up. WE are more relaxed now.

Betty in Ky

Prayerlion
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

We are in our 10th year of homeschooling. I have alwasy used workbooks and textbooks for my kids. I currently teach the folllowing grades: 9, 7,5,2, and we will begin PreK with our youngest in the spring. I have always chosen books that allowed the children to learn as independently as possible.

As they have gotten older, I have discovered many great new curriculum choices: Apologia Science CDRom for all high school sciences, Teaching Textbooks Fully computerized and automatic grading through Algebra 1, Easy Grammar all the way through high school.

I make a list for each child at the beginning of the year for each subject. So when it is time to plan weekly work, I have a master list to keep up with what work they should be doing. Of course, we do have days when we get behind, sick, sick of school, want to go play in the sunshine and so on. However, my focus is on making sure my children LEARN what they need to learn and not just finish the book. If they get hung on something, we stop there until they master it. And if at the end of the year, they haven't finished the book, we let it carryover into the next year.

I have learned not to stress if all the lessons don't get finished. They are learning.

Drawing, music, memorizing Bible verses, daily bible reading, crafts, outdoor activities and group activities are also very important. There are also Home Ec days, when we catch on laundry and cleaning the house. School is not something that last for 180 days out of the year. School is our life and learning opportunites are everywhere.

Teachable moments are the joy of my day because I get to watch and nourish these young minds as they grow.

I think that this has worked for us because I have learned to organize myself at the beginning of the year. We work towards our goal of completing the books chosen, but allow for interruptions and different learning styles. I also try to remind myself everyday, that my kids are learning and that they are in the best environment for learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)