Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading Help Ideas

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to encourage a 7 year old boy to read. I've tried everything I can think of. I tried to find books he's interested in, reading games, rewards, but he still acts like reading is punishment. He is a good reader but his confidence just isn't very high about his reading no matter how much we tell him how good he is. He complains about having to read. He actually seems to be going backwards to me. He's not learning as many new words and he's forgetting the ones he's known for years. I have considered adding an extra reading time after school work is done but some days it is so hard just to get him through the school work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michelle

by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

hi pandorarobin,

some i deas that ive used

what about both of you reading to each other taking turns, even a little bit is good.

set aside a certain time each day and stick to it for reading time, make it short.

have a few short reading times daily

have him read for short times, 10 min to start, then a bit longer as he progresses

what every works be sure to have him read to you daily even for just a short time it helps

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I know this is going to sound backwards but it is worth a try if you are desperate. Stop asking him to read, you read all the stuff for him that you usually have him read. Read books to him & basically take the pressure of reading off of him & tell him he doesn't have to read but if he wants to read he can read anything he wants even if that is comic books all day long.

I did this with my own son when he was 12 & I first removed him from the public schools. At the time he was reading 2 grades below where he should have been & after doing this & getting chapter books that where about stories I knew he would like he began to read with out a problem & now he loves to read. he went from a reading level of about 4th grade to a 12th grade reading level in 2 years.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM
I have no advice either as none of my boys read for enjoyment and act like it is punishment as well....Thanks for your advice usmom3. I recently heard similar advice from a friend and she said when her son turned 12 he finally began to read and dove right into huge novels, etc.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I felt like I didn't have anything to lose at that point because he hated reading & learning. He is still avers to anything that looks like school but if I let him pursue his interest on his own he will do more then if I told him to do it.

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

I have no advice either as none of my boys read for enjoyment and act like it is punishment as well....Thanks for your advice usmom3. I recently heard similar advice from a friend and she said when her son turned 12 he finally began to read and dove right into huge novels, etc.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you read in front of your son everyday?  Do you read books every day to him?  I would read chapter books above his level to him.  Pick something he will enjoy.  Roald Dahl are wonderful read aloud books especially for boys.  Give him time.  Does he like to pick out picture books on his favorite topics.  My son is 9 and reads at a 6th grade and still loves reading his brother's picture books.  I recommend reading the book Raising a Reader.  It has a lot of helpful ideas.  Good luck to you.

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM

You said volumes when you said he is a good reader.  My youngest grand child, Koty, was exactly as you describe. Paragraph 11 from the following article explains how we successfully dealt with the situation you describe (I tried copy pasting that paragraph, but FireFox won't let me)

How To Teach Reading The Fun And Easy Way. 

This is very common with the Rational personalities.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Here is the paragraph!

For example, let me tell you a story about my second grandson. Koty has never attended public school. His mother home schooled him from day one. She read to him regularly, and it was a fun time for them both. Once he learned his ABC's she tried using flash cards to teach him phonics, which is a very unnatural way for most young children to learn. It quickly became a chore for both of them. I reminded her of a game I used in school to teach children to read. It changed everything. Koty quickly learned his phonic sounds, and begged to play more often than his mother desired. He was able to read the early reader books. He even sounded out difficult words like Premium at local gas stations as they played games of reading words while traveling. However, he had no desire to pick up a book and read by himself. Having read the book "Better Late than Early" by Raymond & Dorothy Moore, his mother continued reading to him. At the age of eight, he picked up a book, and asked his mother to read it for him. Not having the time at that moment, she declined. Impatient to wait for her, he began reading the book himself, and had an insatiable reading appetite thereafter. Within six months he was reading at a fifth grade level. We highly recommend the Book, "Better Late than Early" because it explains how important it is to adjust to a child's natural tendencies rather than making him/ her fit into a square peg of our own design.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1983272

Quoting romacox:

You said volumes when you said he is a good reader.  My youngest grand child, Koty, was exactly as you describe. Paragraph 11 from the following article explains how we successfully dealt with the situation you describe (I tried copy pasting that paragraph, but FireFox won't let me)

How To Teach Reading The Fun And Easy Way. 

This is very common with the Rational personalities.

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Thank you USMOM 3.  That was very kind of you

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Your welcome! I know how frustrating it is to want to cut & past & the browser won't allow it!

Quoting romacox:

Thank you USMOM 3.  That was very kind of you

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I agree with the posts that I've been reading.  It may just be an interest thing, but it may be a pressure thing.  Let the pressure off for awhile, and just make the reading part as non-threatening and non-demanding as possible.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)