Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to encourage a 7 year old boy to read. I've tried everything I can think of. I tried to find books he's interested in, reading games, rewards, but he still acts like reading is punishment. He is a good reader but his confidence just isn't very high about his reading no matter how much we tell him how good he is. He complains about having to read. He actually seems to be going backwards to me. He's not learning as many new words and he's forgetting the ones he's known for years. I have considered adding an extra reading time after school work is done but some days it is so hard just to get him through the school work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michelle

by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Replies (11-12):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I've never actually tried this because all of my kids tended to want to read, but one teacher  I read about (real or imagined I don't remember) took a book on the Titanicwith lots of gory detail at a level just above what the children in her class could read.  She then covered the writing with paper, but in such a way that someone could remove it with a little effort.  On the covering paper she wrote a very simplied and boring version of events, telling her students that the "real" book was far too violent and upsetting for them to read.  Needless to say, the boys in the class, who "didn't want to read," soon had the paper off the book and were trying to figure out what all the forbidden words were. Depending on your child's personality, you could give it might work.  :-p

oredeb
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM

hahahah sneaky!!! good idea!

Quoting JKronrod:

I've never actually tried because all of my kids tended to want to read, but one teacher  I read about (real or imagined I don't remember) took a book on the Titanicwith lots of gory detail at a level just above what the children in her class could read.  She then covered the writing with paper, but in such a way that someone could remove it with a little effort.  On the covering paper she wrote a very simplied and boring version of events, telling her students that the "real" book was far to violent and upsetting for them to read.  Needless to say, the boys in the class, who "didn't want to read," soon had the paper off the book and were trying to figure out what all the forbidden words were. Depending on your child's personality, you could give it might work.  :-p

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN