Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Chores for the kids??

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM
  • 6 Replies

What chores do your kids have?

How old do you start them on chores

do you pay them?

when do they do them before school or after?

do you use a chart or?

by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 12:02 PM
My kids do not have a set list....but they typically walk dogs, feed animals, empty the dishwasher, sometimes vacuum, and just all around help pick up and keep things together here.

We talked about an allowance but more and more I think they need to just help out around here as part of the family. When they start doing things like mowing the yard, washing cars, laundry for everyone, so on...then I may reconsider an allowance.

My boys all started young with helping around the house. We even have the 3yr old doing things ;)
my2.5boys
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

My kids didn't have any chores until recently. If I needed them to help me with something, I would just ask for their help. Or sometimes when they see me get up to start working on something, they would just come over and ask if they could help. 

A couple weeks ago my son started asking about an allowance. I told him most kids who get an allowance have to do something to earn it. So we talked about things he might do to earn some money, and we settled on $5 a week for doing the laundry (just the kids' laundry, I still wash mine and my husband's stuff). He is 7 years old, and so far has earned $15. My youngest is 5, and we settled on $2 each time he dusts the house. He has earned $6 so far. 

Usually they do their chores once a week. Since we are unschoolers, we never do school, so they do their chores just whenever they think about it. I don't remind them, and I don't make them do it. But they know they will not get paid, unless it gets done. 

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM

My children have chores and responsibilities.

On the practical side, they must make their bed each morning, put their dirty dishes in the dishwasher after meals and snacks, bring their dirty laundry to the laundry room, keeps their rooms clean (everything put away each day--toys, shoes, jackets, etc.), put their clean clothes on hangers and hang them in their closets, and clean up their bathroom area each evening.

My daughter unloads the dishwasher each morning and helps me with laundry.

My son feeds the animals (2 dogs, 2 turtles, 6 outdoor goldfish, 1 bird, 6 chickens) in the morning and evening.

They do receive an allowance and have opportunities (if they choose to) to earn extra money by helping with yardwork or other things as they come up (washing the car, cleaning the patio, etc.).  It is really neat to see them save up their money for things they really want.  Of course, we provide all their clothes, personal items, books, entertainment, etc.  They save for things like an "All American Girl" doll or Lego set or DS games.  Allowance is a really great learning opportunity.  It teaches them responsibility and money management.

We wake them at 7:00 each morning, and we start school at 9:00.  They have time to do their daytime chores before school.  I do all the main housework--sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning tubs and toilets, etc.  My husband mows the yard and weedeats.  I think we've provided a good balance of teaching them to have a work ethic but not using them as a maid service.

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

larissalarie
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 2:05 AM
It's their job to clean their own things/room/toys (well not the baby yet)
My daughter being much older has much more, she does her own laundry (that started when she was 8) and she loads the dishwasher after dinner & takes out the trash.
No payment, chores are a part of life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvthesoap
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM

MY son is 17 & gets $20 a week. He has to do dihes daily, take out the trash, feed thte cats, and keep his room semi-clean.

Betty in Ky

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM

My kids do most of the everday household chores, honestly. I go back behind and do the harder chores and deep cleaning. They don't do any outside chores really, though, that's up to hubby and me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)