Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How would you go about teaching a First Grader(6 yr)?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM
  • 18 Replies

what would you use?

for all the subjects?

how much time would you take?

what fun things would you do with the child?

The child is ready to learn to read,

by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I use quite a few fun worksheets, math manipulatives and lots of outdoor walks and classes plus a lot of reading books together.

sew4fun
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I will be staying tuned to this post. Josie is on FIRE with learning !!!!!!  I have all these prek and k workbooks and worksheets and she is flying through them and getting bored. I want to try some first grade stuff.

Kaylon
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I have a 1st grader (turning 7 the end of this month).  He is disliking anything to do with school at this point.  He was my big learner and now all that went out the window.    I would like to see others posts about what and how they do schooling with their 1st grader.   TO ADD:  My youngest is 5 (will be 6 the end of the month)  My boys are exactly one year apart.    Should I just combine their teaching?   

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM
I am using

Saxon math 1 although we skip lessons occasionally because she pretty much knows all of it so far.
Story of the world -ancients for history
All about spelling level 1
handwriting without tears (yellow)
Outdoor secrets for the first semester science then creating my own on the body
Nature study is just a nature journal. Lol
Reading relates to what we are doing in science or history
Classic literature (so far We have read charlottes web, Stuart little, Mary poppins, complete tales of Winnie the pooh, and are reading pinnochio)
Drawing with children by Mona Brooks for art
Favorite poems old and new as well as one by Robert louis Stevenson for poetry
We are listening to composers and reading the "getting to know the worlds greatest composers" series for music
Elementary advantage for computer skills

I think that is it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Oh, we do 7 subjects a day and it normally takes 2-3 hours.
We often take our work outside, go to the park, etc. Then fun crafts that go along with science or history normally.
I should mention Julia already reads well. So if the child cannot read all bout spelling has a program that goes nicely with it called all about reading. I'd definitely use it if needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

i do with the kids that are close in age i combine some of the subjects like science, history, bible, handwriting, art and since you are just starting out you can teach them to read together if they are both ready, at some point one of them might take off and get ahead of the other, thats ok!

I have a 1st grader (turning 7 the end of this month).  He is disliking anything to do with school at this point.  He was my big learner and now all that went out the window.    I would like to see others posts about what and how they do schooling with their 1st grader.   TO ADD:  My youngest is 5 (will be 6 the end of the month)  My boys are exactly one year apart.    Should I just combine their teaching?   

Michelle914
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I really like Explode The Code.

mrspriceisright
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM

These are the basics of what I used for 1st grade.  She was 5 at the time.

• Math--Singapore Math
  • Penmanship--Handwriting without tears
  • Reading--Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading & McGuffey Reader  (We used BOB books in K when we first started Ordinary Parents Guide.)
  • Language--First Language Lessons
  • History--Story of the World
  • Science--we studied the earth and plants

For history and science, we used A LOT of library books and activities.

oredeb
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

betsy i like your blog!!!

Quoting mrspriceisright:

These are the basics of what I used for 1st grade.  She was 5 at the time.

• Math--Singapore Math
  • Penmanship--Handwriting without tears
  • Reading--Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading & McGuffey Reader  (We used BOB books in K when we first started Ordinary Parents Guide.)
  • Language--First Language Lessons
  • History--Story of the World
  • Science--we studied the earth and plants

For history and science, we used A LOT of library books and activities.

Michelle914
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Hi,

I am having the same situation.  I am trying to figure out what she likes and incorporate more of that in our studies.  My daughter likes to read and be read to, so I am looking into Life of Fred for math.  I understand there are stories to read and she might be more interested in that.

Does your son enjoy the outdoors?  If so, what about playing in the autumn leaves?  I want to take my girls to play and take lots of picture to send to relatives.  Would your boys enjoy taking pictures or learning about the camera?  You could collect leaves and then research which trees they came from or make a leaf collage.  A friend of mine took her kids apple picking, then the kids helped her make apple sauce.  They learned fractions while cutting the apples!

I don't know much about sports but if your kids enjoy that, is there any way to incorporate sports in your studies?

Like I said, I feel like I'm in the same situation.  My daughter used to like "school work" but now she sits there not doing anything and says how she doesn't like it!  So please let me know if you come up with any ideas that I could try to!

Thanks!

Quoting Kaylon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN