Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Connections academy

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 5:59 AM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone tried this virtual homeschooling? They have open enrollment right now. I have looked at connections and k12, and i can't find the difference. Is there any difference?

by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Michelle914
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I looked into both of those.  From what I could gather, K12 has their own curriculum.  They will coordinate their studies so if you are studying a particular time in history, you also study art from that time period and your reading assignments would reflect that time period, etc.  I really liked that idea to tie everything in together!

However, I am from Oregon and K12 needed me to get a signed waiver from my school district before I could enroll with them.  My district wouldn't give me the waiver!  They said their reason was that they didn't think K12 met all of their state standards or some other criteria and they (the school district) would sign a waiver for us to enroll with Connections because they preferred Connections curriculum.  Anyway, Connections didn't require a signed waiver.

I ended up not going with either of the on-line schools and since then I have heard from others that Connections requires a lot of time put in and because of that, doesn't always work for every family.  Other than those things, I have only heard good things about both programs.

I think if your child is old enough to be reading, running the computer and doing the work by themself, on-line probably works pretty well.  If you have a young child where you need to be helping most of the time, you need to decide if the amount of time involved will work for your situation.  I have heard some families try on-line home schooling, it doesn't work for them, and then they feel like home schooling in general doesn't work for them and they give up.  That's sad because if they tried another home school option, it would probably work great for their family!  That's the situation I find myself in right now, what seemed to work for us last year, doesn't seem to be jelling this year.  I'm trying to decide what to do!

Sorry this is so looong!!!  Good luck with whatever you decide and remember you can try different methods until you find something that "fits"!

cpyrrha
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 6:42 AM

My daughter started K in Connections Academy about 2 wks ago.  She's really far ahead of the curriculum in most areas so I'm looking forward to getting the program more tailored to her.  She's enrolled thru a school district in our state so it's fully recognized.

moneysaver6
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Some people won't go with those programs because often they require you to go through the public school and your child is actually a public school student rather than a homeschooled student according to the state.  You lose the flexibility to school year-round and must be accountable to their timelines and their teachers.

armybratmom612
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

my oldest is doing her Kindergarten and loving it so far. Its very fun for them and its still technically public school so no issues if you ever decide to transfer them to public school

armybratmom612
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Quoting Michelle914:

I looked into both of those.  From what I could gather, K12 has their own curriculum.  They will coordinate their studies so if you are studying a particular time in history, you also study art from that time period and your reading assignments would reflect that time period, etc.  I really liked that idea to tie everything in together!

However, I am from Oregon and K12 needed me to get a signed waiver from my school district before I could enroll with them.  My district wouldn't give me the waiver!  They said their reason was that they didn't think K12 met all of their state standards or some other criteria and they (the school district) would sign a waiver for us to enroll with Connections because they preferred Connections curriculum.  Anyway, Connections didn't require a signed waiver.

I ended up not going with either of the on-line schools and since then I have heard from others that Connections requires a lot of time put in and because of that, doesn't always work for every family.  Other than those things, I have only heard good things about both programs.

I think if your child is old enough to be reading, running the computer and doing the work by themself, on-line probably works pretty well.  If you have a young child where you need to be helping most of the time, you need to decide if the amount of time involved will work for your situation.  I have heard some families try on-line home schooling, it doesn't work for them, and then they feel like home schooling in general doesn't work for them and they give up.  That's sad because if they tried another home school option, it would probably work great for their family!  That's the situation I find myself in right now, what seemed to work for us last year, doesn't seem to be jelling this year.  I'm trying to decide what to do!

Sorry this is so looong!!!  Good luck with whatever you decide and remember you can try different methods until you find something that "fits"!

for kinder I could decide to do 7 day work weeks and I can tailor the schedule to meet our needs. so that was the plus I found

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM

I had both my 2nd grader and Kinder in it. Well it totally burned them out and stole their joy for school. I took them out 2 weeks ago. We have always been independent but for money reasons decided to try it. It isn't for us.

itsrks
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

We did K12. We had a good experience but I would have rather been free to explore what we wanted instead of being tied down to their schedule.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)