Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling ADHD child without meds... In tears!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 7 year old that I am homeschooling. He has ADHD and I havent wanted to medicate him because I watched my 2 brothers and cousin on the medicine and by highschool they were just turning around and selling the medicine to anyone who would buy it. I live in the south and prescription drug abuse is one of our main issues here. So I wanted to teach my son he didnt need medicine unless he was sick. Anyway, last year in first grade at Christmas the teacher called me in for a conference and suggested he be put on meds. I told her no, because he was 6. She then went on to stick him out in the hallway 3 to 4 times a week there after. After one conference after another with teachers, the couselor and principle nothing got better and it was always my fault for not giving my child the advantage of medications. This year I decided to homeschool and now I feel like I am caving. He doesnt sit in his seat, throws horrible fits about having to do work, flat out refuses to do it unless I am sitting right next to him basically saying do your work, nothing is ever fair. I have tried yelling, grounding, positive reinforcement, giving him coffee in the morning ( calms him down for about 45 mins) and I am running out of options. I being ADD myself am feeling like I am stotally losing control and what I wanted to be such a positive thing is not so positive. I have thought about putting him back in public school but they will not allow him to go to the second grade even though we had him tested over the summer twice and paid 3000 dollars for a reading tudor. By the end of the summer he was at second grade level. Does anyone have any advice????

by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM
Replies (11-17):
Tiff319
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Thank you all so much for your comments. I took the weekend off per say. After Friday my husband could tell I was so upset and frustrated that he sent me to my sisters for the weekend and he took on my son and his friend, who was already told he could stay the weekend, camping. I was very happy to come home and get some of these great ideas. I will definetly be trying them out tomorrow morning. After taking the weekend to reevaluate the problems we were having I think most all you are right. I am trying to make this in to a traditional homeschool where we sit down and do work from 9-3 with small breaks for lunch, bathroom, and a 30 minute playtime, but that is why he did not do well last year in the classroom setting. Thank you all so very much for taking your time to give me ideas in order to make my life easier :)

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Let us know how it works out for you!  {{hugs}}

tammie679
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Has it ever been said that he as oppositional defiant disorder? My daughter has both adhd combine and odd. to me the not doing your work, cann't sit still and focus is one thing (my son also has it) and the I don't , won't do the work is something else. Might want to ask his dr. about this one.

DON'T GIVE UP  been there done that and now that she is in high school we are back to homeschooling again.

whoopsie16
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Quoting Penmom4:

To shoten my post I am going to add a link to a blog post of mine, it is why I decided to homeschool. I never got him eveluated for ADHD. My husband will not let me put him on any meds, not even a sleep aid once in a while. Some times he will stay awake for hours and he dose not want me to go to bed till he falls asleep. I know he has an anger issue. Especialy with his older sister and brother.  I pray for him every night, thats all I can do now. Prayers going out to all your familys.

.http://penny-adventuresinhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2011/08/about-us.html

Did you try asking your husband about melitonin? its natrual, its something your body already produces but if you give him melitonin it just increases the amount in his body so that he sleeps better....its like taking vitamins.

tansyflower
by Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM

lol he sounds like  a handful!  i think the part in red is very important, if he doesnt do well in that type of enviroment then dont try to replicate it at home.  good luck!  he is lucky to have a mama like you :)

Quoting Tiff319:

Thank you all so much for your comments. I took the weekend off per say. After Friday my husband could tell I was so upset and frustrated that he sent me to my sisters for the weekend and he took on my son and his friend, who was already told he could stay the weekend, camping. I was very happy to come home and get some of these great ideas. I will definetly be trying them out tomorrow morning. After taking the weekend to reevaluate the problems we were having I think most all you are right. I am trying to make this in to a traditional homeschool where we sit down and do work from 9-3 with small breaks for lunch, bathroom, and a 30 minute playtime, but that is why he did not do well last year in the classroom setting. Thank you all so very much for taking your time to give me ideas in order to make my life easier :)

oredeb
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

how is it going tiff?? figure out anything?

Diggems0312
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Just to throw in my own experience while you figure out your game plan... my brother had tourettes and adhere. Once my parents put him in a school where most of the work was hands-on and interactive, he could demonstrate his capability. My brother has the iq of a genius but no one ever believed mom cuz of his issues. Try more hands on stuff... in shorter cycles. Lots of breaks. I myself have an add/odd child. Hang in there and stand your ground. Trust your instincts to figure out what works for you guys. You will be amazed at the change.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)