Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Future Homeschooling Momma Here!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi! My name is Megan, I'm 18 and my daughter Sophia is only 8 months old right now, but I already know I want to homeschool her (and all of my future children). I'm currently in college in an elementary education program, and the more I visit classrooms, the more convinced I am that I never want to send my children there, or even be there myself. I'm especially interested in unschooling, I would love to hear from anyone who unschools! 

by on Oct. 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nzumbrun
by Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:37 AM
Welcome Megan!! I'm not an unschooler but I do homeschool my 3 kids. I'm not really farmiliar with unschooling. I am starting my 9 month old granddaughter soon. I am going to be starting her in her colors, shapes, numbers, and letters. That may go against what you are looking in to. I have found the earlier you start the better. I wish I would have done that with all of mine, but I didnt. Well good luck. And again, welcome.
ReiReally
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM

How amazing, me too! I interned in a local elementary school and after that, i knew i wanted to home school my son. Now i work at an in-home preschool and will start him on the beckham homeschooling books (i was home schooled for a couple of years on these particular ones) as soon as i think he's ready for them.

I don't mind kid-curisity led education within a home but "Unschool" is not an accurate way of calling that kind of teaching as the term implies you're taking back education from your kid which i translate as teaching them everything oppositely and wrong on purpose.  Maybe it's just me.
 My only concern with the "unschoolers" is not being well-rounded enough to advance them to the next level when they need to move on. I know it's go-at-your-own-pace based and that's fine as long as they move one when they've mastered a skill. If they learn their letters, they need to move on to sounds and simple words because that's the next step to ultimatly reading and writing. It's these laggings after mastering a skill that really puts kids behind when all they needed was to be introduced to the next step to keep pace.

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Hi Megan,

I am an eclectic...so I use unschooling among other methods.  Strict unschoolers would say that is impossible; either you are 100% unschooling or you are not.  But it all works for me.

Here is a free article on most of the different methods used by parent educators, and unschooling is included: How To Home School 

I totally understand what you are saying about the class rooms.  I think you will relate to this article:

Thinking About Home Schooling? Teachers Are 

I look forward to knowing you better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)