Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"Easy On The Teacher" Math Book?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM
  • 14 Replies

Anyone know an "easy on the teacher" math curriculum for first grade?  What I'm using now has a teacher guide with several lessons/exercises to be taught using a variety of manipulatives, games, etc.  Then we need to go through a text book together and then after that she does her work book pages.  Usually by the time we get part way through the teacher guide, my daughter is finished!  We can't seem to complete everything in the lesson without taking days to do it and the guide suggests one whole lesson each day!  Is there anything that would be more "user friendly"?  My daughter likes her "Explode The Code" books.  We do a short lesson together and then she enjoys filling in her work book pages on her own!  If there is anything like that for math, I would appreciate the suggestions!

Thanks!

by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Life of Fred http://www.polkadotpublishing.com/ I am in LOVE with Fred. :)

oredeb
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM

saxon,

when a child first learns math it is a good idea to teach using the manipulative's(marbles, socks, m and ms, blocks, etc) so they can see numbers correspond with items, sounds like she already knows that though! and you dont need a math book to teach that!haha

MommaTasha1003
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Math-u-see

it has manipulatives & dvd for every lesson... some people will watch it alone for ideas on how to teach. some will watch it with their child... and for some when kids are old enough they start watching the dvd by themself and only go to mom if they have problems/question.

Penmom4
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Not here. I have a 5th grade Math book that dosenot have an answer key, or teachers manual. If I don't know the answer I will have to look it up on line. Well This is my first yr of Home school, I will be doing alot of hit and misses i'm sure.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I second Math u see. Especially for hands on learners.

We also just switched my middle ds to teaching textbooks which id working really well. It has the lesson on the computer and then they work the problems in a workbook.After they work them they enter them on the computer and they can work through any they miss. He loves that it corrects instantly and he can fix his mistakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM
I second Saxon! Its super easy on me, we really like it so far.

Quoting oredeb:

saxon,

when a child first learns math it is a good idea to teach using the manipulative's(marbles, socks, m and ms, blocks, etc) so they can see numbers correspond with items, sounds like she already knows that though! and you dont need a math book to teach that!haha

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I make my own curriculm. I wish I could be more help.

jeng1980
by Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM

We use Saxon here as well.

tammie679
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM

A.C.E. (www.schoolfortomorrow.com)

Prayerlion
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM

If what you are using is tiring for your daughter, then  cut out some of the exercises. First grade is all about learning numbers, counting, writing the numbers and basic addition and subtraction. Just use what you have and work at your daughter's pace.

As for older kids, I start using Teaching Textbooks when my kids hit fourth grade. it is fully computerized ( all the way through Algebra 1 now - Thank you Teaching Textbooks!!). It actually starts in 3rd grade, (which can be used for an advanced 2nd grader) but I generally focus on the basics of addition/subtract and multiplication/division for the first three grades.

My oldest is in Algebra 1 this year and Teaching Textbooks has been a blessing. I also have one doing PreAlgebra and fifth grade with Teaching Textbooks. There is an online placement test you can download from their website to see which curriculum is right for your child.

TheMathWorksheetSite.com is also a great place for math for little ones and even older kids, who need extra work. The full site requires a $25 a year subscription fee, but you can access a few basic things for free. EnchantedLearning.com is similar. For $20 a year (there is also free access) you get lots of pdf books, worksheets and online activities for little ones that cover all subjects. NOTE: Enchanted Learning does have references to evolution in their science worksheets.

It's important to remember that the blessing of homeschooling, is that each child can learn at his/her own pace. I'm in my 10th year of homeschooling  (Current grades: 9,7,5,2, Prek) and I am learning to adapt the subjects I want them to learn to the way each of them learns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)