Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Raising a special needs child

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:49 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am currently homeschooling my special needs son through ECOT.I am worried that they dont give him the special atention that he needs.Does anyone out there(preferably with a special needs child )know of a better homeschooling website?

by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2011 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought about writing out your own curriculum or possibly planning it out with a boxed curriculum? As the parent, you might be able to get something closer to your son's needs than an organization. I'm not familiar with ECOT so I don't have any advice for that. Sorry! Good luck! 8)

oredeb
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM
StephanieK.
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Hey thank you guys so much...you have been alot of help.

wright1212
by on Oct. 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I used workbox approach. The book 'how do i teach this kid' really helped me more than anything. There is no curriculum for my son at his various levels with his issues taken into account. He is autism at a 2yo level (he is 9) but he can read some sight words and knows all letters-but cant communicate. So I just started creating activities based on his IEP goals from being in school. So we do things like lacing cards, lots of handwriting using dryerase, pens, crayons, counting, playing computer games. Just lots of things, I also count half his hours doing lifeskills. I have him cook, grooming, cleaning, shopping ect.

Mommy to Corbin (9-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (2), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)