Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

part-time homeschoolers

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:12 AM
  • 5 Replies

I once read that all good parents homeschool their children, it's just that some do it part-time. I guess that is my plan. My daughter (4, nearly 5) is preschooled at home, but she will be joining the public schools for kindergarten (once online is available, we may consider connections or k-12 if they would like or if they dislike public schools). I will still always be looking for things to do with her, things to help her learn, things she is interested in. I'm planning on my younger son to follow suit. Any other mothers like myself just doing hs for the early years, then moving to work within the public schools? I do often feel a bit out of place on both ends of the spectrum...

Old goths don't die. They just wear less make-up. chopped head

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM

No, but I am sure that are some out there.  My boys are in 2nd and 4th grade  and show absolutely no interest in going to any school.  They are having too much fun homeschooling.  I do think homeschooling at least in the early years is really important.  The early years really set the stage for all the other years.  Good luck to you.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM
I somewhat did that when dd was in public k. She was so far ahead that she did learn anything while she was there, so I challenged her at home. They didn't want to deal with her (she was bored) and she would cry a lot. So I figured, if I am already teaching her more at home than in school, and who knows how to deal with her better than mommy, I may as well homeschool her.
I am mistaken, they taught her plenty. How to backtalk, lie, whine, be mean, procrastinate...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

no, ive done all the years and am teaching other kids now, its good to see your teaching them in there younger years, i think that helps a lot,

EaiB
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I somewhat did that when dd was in public k. She was so far ahead that she did learn anything while she was there, so I challenged her at home. They didn't want to deal with her (she was bored) and she would cry a lot. So I figured, if I am already teaching her more at home than in school, and who knows how to deal with her better than mommy, I may as well homeschool her.
I am mistaken, they taught her plenty. How to backtalk, lie, whine, be mean, procrastinate...

Mine totally already know how to backtalk, lie,whine, procrastinate, and can be mean with the best of them. I think they will be okay. lol. I'm not worried about the schools in the early years. I will let her choose once we can use one of the online services for curriculum, which is no earlier than 3rd grade here. Some don't like the scheduled curriculum, but for me it is a must. I will only do learning at home if I am comfortable she will get everything she can out of it. I went to college and worked with a few kids who were probably what we'd consider "unschooled". They couldn't adjust to the settings, had trouble with group mentality, and didn't actually seem driven. I'd never been homeschooled, but I've always pursued interests and learning outside of school, and college wasn't a big adjustment for me, but mostly just real fun. I'd like these things for my daughter, but I am not comfortable at all without a school-like curriculum, and we can't afford to buy the most complete ones and have any money left over for her to actively pursue things she is entranced with. I do think a lot of it is culturally constructed too, and that is a big reason I feel left out when speaking about things like this. Group-mind and working together and holistically is important to us sometimes, and I feel it is something that needs to be covered with children to some degree. I don't agree with a lot of the public school policies, and certainly if my child has a big problem with school, we will try something else, but I see no reason to dismiss it for us right now.

Old goths don't die. They just wear less make-up. chopped head

Schleetle
by on Oct. 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM
My sons were developmentally delayed, and went to a special education preschool. They were in public school for pre k to 2nd grade. We are having them repeat 2nd grade this year, but I'm homeschooling with k12. I'm not sure about what I plan for DD yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN