Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Who keeps a stocked or unstocked pantry?

Posted by   + Show Post

do you have a pantry?

do you stock it? for those unseen times when we might need the extra?

pictures?

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
LovemyQ
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I was doing really well having a pantry that would keep us fed for 4-5 months. Then our baby was stillborn and we didn't have the energy to do anything. I still have a hard time going to the grocery so our stockpile is down to practically nothing and my dh goes to the store for a little bit of things. We have managed to stretch the pantry for almost 9 months, but really, I think we order out too much now!

moneysaver6
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 1:46 AM

I'm so sorry, Mama. 

Quoting LovemyQ:

I was doing really well having a pantry that would keep us fed for 4-5 months. Then our baby was stillborn and we didn't have the energy to do anything. I still have a hard time going to the grocery so our stockpile is down to practically nothing and my dh goes to the store for a little bit of things. We have managed to stretch the pantry for almost 9 months, but really, I think we order out too much now!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm an extreme couponer so I keep a well-stocked pantry.  I also have a deep freezer that is packed to the rim. With my DH and I unemployeed since last March I've had to learn how to A) buy groceries for a family of 4 for only $50/month - our food stamp allotment. B) be prepared for anything! We live in an area that was hit by hurricane Irene (thought we didn't receive any major damage in our neighborhood), there was no way we could up and make preparations at the last minute, but lukily I keep my pantry stocked with baking items, coffee, etc...and even though we haven't gone camping in years I also have several packages of those little karosene things for the camping grill - so even if we had lost power we could have cooked (and made coffee, as no one wants to see me without cafine!). Since we live in an apartment our stock is smaller than many people's.

Current Pantry Stock includes:

Bathroom/Paper Supplies-
8 bottles kids shampoo/conditioner
4 bottles Axe Mens body shower gel
4 bottles Dove body wash
3 packages face cleaner (forgot the brand)
4 bottles super concentrated All detergent
4 boxes Snuggle dryer sheets
6 bottles Dawn dish detergent
6 packages TP
10 individual paper towels
3 large packages paper plates
2 boxes large kitchen garbage bags
6 boxes gallon ziplock bags
6 boxes quart ziplock bags

Baking:
6 large bags of flour
10 5lb bags sugar
5 boxes Fundamiddles (cupcakes)
10 pouches of chocolate chip cookie mix
4 boxes cake mix / 4 jars frosting
4 boxes brownie mix

Dry Foods:
10 packages croutons
20 Jars Progresso Soup
20 Jars Campbells Soup
8 bags candy (various types)
16 bottles of salad dressing
20 bottles pasta sauce
20 large cans tomato sauce
10 cans (medium) diced tomatos
5 cans (small) tomato paste
25 boxes pasta (various types)
4 large bags potatoes
tons of other baking supplies - spices, karo sauce, meat marinades, corn starch, baking powder, salt, etc, etc, etc....
 taco mixes/seasoning packets / shells

Drinks:
10 boxes of k-cups coffee
4 boxes of k-cups ice tea
5 boxes of k-cups hot tea
2 boxes k-cups hot cocoa
5 boxes "old fashioned" hot cocoa

2 large tubs dry coffee (foldgers)
8 big bottles of non-dairy creamer
10 2liter bottles soda (for DH)
8 12-pk cans soda
6 packages of lemonade powder mixes

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Quoting bellableu87:

We have a very small house so I don't have a whole lot of space. But we do have a small area that I keep stocked and add a little each week and sometimes even more when we have extra money. But we do have a deep freeze we stock up with meats suck as a pig we had slaughtered, frozzen pizzas, lazzanias, burritos,milk,freash fruits and vegys,waffles,desserts,beef, chicken ect. And we also have a green house were we get tomatoes, peppers and lettuce.

I hear ya! We are in a very small 2 bedroom apt  - but it has one awkward room that could be the diningroom but has dormered (?) ceiling (really short walls on the sides) so I've always used it as my HS storage room. Well when DH was laid off I set up shelves along the walls and that helps with our pantry items. Last week I got $700 of groceries for $85 all pantry items, and this week I just got about $200 and paid about $30 all on frozen foods. The kids actually told me, after helping to put food away, "mom, you gotta stop buying food, we don't have any room!" lol, but I worry about our finances getting even tighter than they are now and my hope is that we can live off our stock over the next few months so I can spend that few $$ on presents for the kids from santa....

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

Liamoondancer
by Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

When something is on sale and I have coupons, I stock up on staples and paper products!!  I could supply 10 families with peanut butter at this point!!  LOL  That's probably a good thing since I heard the cost of PB will be going up drastically.  My biggest problem is that I "lose" stuff in the freezer.  I need to dig deeper so I remember what all I have in there! 

missg8
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I have make shift pantries. LOL!!! Part of my linen closet, my 2 very small and short closets, some bins and under my sinks. Keeping it were I can find room. I think the toy boxes might have to be next. ROTG!!!rolling on floor

missg8
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Quoting LovemyQ:

Sorry to hear that. Praying.

missg8
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Sometimes you think your the only one in a tight space. Thanks for sharing needed to hear this. :O]

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting bellableu87:

We have a very small house so I don't have a whole lot of space. But we do have a small area that I keep stocked and add a little each week and sometimes even more when we have extra money. But we do have a deep freeze we stock up with meats suck as a pig we had slaughtered, frozzen pizzas, lazzanias, burritos,milk,freash fruits and vegys,waffles,desserts,beef, chicken ect. And we also have a green house were we get tomatoes, peppers and lettuce.

I hear ya! We are in a very small 2 bedroom apt  - but it has one awkward room that could be the diningroom but has dormered (?) ceiling (really short walls on the sides) so I've always used it as my HS storage room. Well when DH was laid off I set up shelves along the walls and that helps with our pantry items. Last week I got $700 of groceries for $85 all pantry items, and this week I just got about $200 and paid about $30 all on frozen foods. The kids actually told me, after helping to put food away, "mom, you gotta stop buying food, we don't have any room!" lol, but I worry about our finances getting even tighter than they are now and my hope is that we can live off our stock over the next few months so I can spend that few $$ on presents for the kids from santa....

oredeb
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

hahahahahahahah missg, lilke a treasurre hunt!!!

Quoting missg8:

I have make shift pantries. LOL!!! Part of my linen closet, my 2 very small and short closets, some bins and under my sinks. Keeping it were I can find room. I think the toy boxes might have to be next. ROTG!!!rolling on floor

missg8
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM

LOL!!!! Yep!

Quoting oredeb:

hahahahahahahah missg, lilke a treasurre hunt!!!

Quoting missg8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)