Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your child working on in Math?

Posted by   + Show Post

My fifth grader is reviewing last year and brushing up on factoring.

My first grader is working on addition and trying to transistion from using counting blocks to doing it in his head. (We may give up and move on to subtraction with blocks. WWYD?)

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
Penmom4
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Going to be working on Multiplication Properties. Just finishing up adding and subtracting revews. 

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM

We also use Math-U-See.  Our 15 year old was really struggling and falling behind in public school.  We took her all the way back to multiplication, division, and then fractions.  She's moving on now to some of the more advanced math. Our nine year old is just starting into Epsilon, which is fractions.  Our ten year old has also struggled, so we took her back and she's working her way through subtraction and into multiplication now.  Our 8 year old is well into multiplication :).

mynameismuerte
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM

DS is working on subtraction.  (Singapore 1A)  He really seemed to be struggling with it and I considered moving on while also continuing to subtract things.  Instead I decided to stick with the subtraction.  It's a little hard to make it fun but he's finally getting it.

fygfitness_mom
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM

One is working on different meanings of fractions and the other is working on multiplication, division and associative property.

cedailey
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Today my 1st grader worked on addition and subtraction of sums up to 20.  so 20-x=14, 12+8=, x +2+17

My 2nd grader is working on order of operations and combining multiplication equations 8x6+5, 20 /4 -2,  6x4 + 6x3 Also she had one section of comparing fractions.

We use MEP and are doing the last week of Year 1 and Year 2 (got a little delayed due to a death in the family last year).

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 20, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Lets see....

The oldest is using ALEKS math this year- it's online- he's doing Algebra 1. So far it seems like a review of what he did in Prealgebra with Math-U-see last year but he prefers the work on the computer.

DS2 is trying teaching textbooks - so far he is also doing a lot of review- he did Math U See last year (He too struggled and we took him all the way back to the addition book in MUS) He was doing Epsilon but kept "forgetting" what fractions were , what the denominator meant -we went over and over it, even restarted it twice and he wasn't grasping it so we are trying something different instead of pushing forward. So far he really likes the Teaching Textbooks.

DD is still doing math u see- except we got the wrong book @@ She was supopsed to get the multiplication book and they sent division so we are waiting for the replacement.  In the meanwhile, I got her a workbook that is time and money - which MUS doesnt teach the coins- and what they look like. They also only touch telling time briefly so we went more indepth.

armywife43
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM

well, my oldest is 4 and we're doing addition...we're not using blocks but other things. one day he just started telling me things like "hey mommy! if you have 2 of these and then get 3 more we get 5!"...i was surprised so i just decided to start doing papers with him lol. we also add when they go grocery shopping with me...i get dd to get 2 apples and ds to get 5 apples and have him add them together..same with oranges, ect. he likes to weigh everything and tell me the pounds too lol.

Danielle163
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM

My third grader is working on multiplication, division, fractions, and decimals.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM

That's awesome! My son can do them in his head but has trouble doing subtraction/addition on paper. I'm not sure why. lol

Quoting armywife43:

well, my oldest is 4 and we're doing addition...we're not using blocks but other things. one day he just started telling me things like "hey mommy! if you have 2 of these and then get 3 more we get 5!"...i was surprised so i just decided to start doing papers with him lol. we also add when they go grocery shopping with me...i get dd to get 2 apples and ds to get 5 apples and have him add them together..same with oranges, ect. he likes to weigh everything and tell me the pounds too lol.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Right now, my 5th-grader is doing an intense multiplication and division review for a few weeks.  Then he'll start back on fractions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)