Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need homeschooling info please help

Posted by   + Show Post

I was wondering if some of you would share what curriculum you use to homeschool your children. For the moms that do unschooling, could you also leave your feed back on what you do with your kids too? 

I am writing a post for my blog to help those that are new to homeschooling. You all would be a big help. I'd rather talk about things that you guys use because it obviously works for your kids. Thanks!

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM
Replies (11-16):
HustlinMomma
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Sounds great ladies. Thank you very much!

Christine0813
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I use A Beka for my first grader, and just went to a local teacher store, and pieced together one for my 4Th grader. Next year, I will use A Beka for a three kids.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

We use a unit study curriculum called Learning Adventures, and we absolutely LOVE IT!  We also do a lot of day-to-day learning in things that we are interested in, and dive even deeper into some unit topics than what is provided, with supplementary materials, or researching and building our own.  It is going to take us 2 years to get through one year's volume, but that's okay, because I know we went a mile deep.  

We use Math-U-See, which all of my children seem to like, and even more importantly, make progress in.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

What she said! ;)

Quoting JoyfulMommyof2:

My children are 13 (8th grade) and 9 (4th grade).  I use Learning Adventures Studies, which I absolutely love!!  It is a unit study program that is history-based and covers all the basic subjects except for arithmetic and extracurriculars.  Subjects are Bible including reading and memory verses and character training, Literature including read-a-louds using NewBerry Award Winning Books that pertain to the historical time period being studied with review questions for each chapter and types of literature including allegory, legend, proverbs, irony, imagery, etc., Vocabulary including Greek and Latin roots, Grammar/Language (parts of speech, punctuation,antonyms, synonyms, homonyms, etc.), Writing (sentence structure, paragraph structure, letters, book reviews and reports, essays, writing techniques, note-taking, outlines, research, etc.), Spelling including spelling rules and commonly misspelled words, Science (earth science, physical science, etc.), Social Studies including history, geography, culture, government and political systems, interpreting graphs and maps, historical leaders and persons, landforms, climate, natural resources, etc., and Fine Arts including music and art terms and concepts.  [I hope that I haven't left out anything.]  It is a very thorough and excellent program at the cost of $90 - $100.  There is a list of book choices for each semester.  All of these additional books (literature, DK Eyewitness, biographies, etc.) can be borrowed from your local library (or purchased at your choice through another source such as Amazon or Christianbook).  There are also a great many suggested hands-on activities and suggested field trips.  It is absolutely excellent and allows teaching and learning to be FUN and, therefore, retained in the minds of your children (and yourself).  I've compared this unit study with the scope and sequences of many popular (and much more expensive) curriculums and found it to be totally comprehensive, yet much more fun and interesting.

My children both do a typing program.  My youngest is doing his first year of typing with Typing Instructor for Kids (Typer Island), and my daughter is doing her third year using Mavis Beacon.

They use separate programs for Arithmetic.  My daughter struggled with Math until we began using Math-U-See which has boosted her math skills and her self-esteem.  My son is advanced in math and uses Singapore Math which is advanced and presents a challenge but is doable.  I love them both as they are each matched to my particular child's learning skills and don't include tons of busy work.

As far as physical activity, they take swim technique class twice per week at our local health club, and we either bike ride or walk or do Wii two to three times per week for approx 40 - 50 minutes.

They also take a homeschool art class at a local art studio for 1 1/2 hours once per week.

Of course, they also learn life skills through chores and helping with planting a garden, weeding, taking care of the animals (dogs, chickens, ducks, parakeet, gold fish, and turtles), and just learning alongside us (Mommy and Daddy) as we do and teach them practicial things.  They are also enrolled in Homeschool 4-H Club (including their Jr. Master Gardeners Program and their Shooting Sports Program--which emphasizes safety, of course) and Keepers at Home (girls club) and Contenders for the Faith (boys club) which teach many life skills, also.

I think that's pretty much everything.  My motto is, "If we're living, we're learning!"  Our lives are full of fun, bonding, and learning as a family!

I feel so blessed and feel that my children are so blessed to be homeschooled!  We've experimented with other curriculums and learning techniques in the past, but we have definitely found what works best for our family.  What a joy to see your children enjoy learning, retain what they learn, and talk about the things they learn with others because they are so excited about it!

Things will probably change up a little next year as my daughter is entering her high school years.  We'll adapt as necessary.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck.

P.S. I love your motto!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I forgot about Prima Latina.

HustlinMomma
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Thank you so much guys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)