Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

making a curriculum

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
With the way my dd learns I've thought about making our own curriculum, but have no idea how. Use books and make worksheets on what is in the book? Would love more info. Being on my phone I cannot search group for previous posts, so a link to one would be helpful if there is one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gingergarcia
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM

You could try the website  superteacherworksheets.com  they have alot of worksheets for different grade levels and subjects. The other thing you could do to save you time and money on books is go to Books A Million store and get a annual membership card, then use it the same day to purchase workbooks for what curriculum you will be using. There prices are good and it will work great! Good Luck!

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 20, 2011 at 5:28 PM

There are a lot of options for making your own curriculum. I would suggest you find out her learning style first & then based off of that decide if you want to go with more book, computer or hands on styles or a mix of it all if she can learn in all the different styles.

See if your library has a homeschool section of books or if you have a local homeschool library that you can go see what they have to piece something together.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM

You'll also need to decide if you're going to build a unit study curriculum, or approach each subject separately, and know where you want to begin as far as topic and "grade level".

Quoting usmom3:

There are a lot of options for making your own curriculum. I would suggest you find out her learning style first & then based off of that decide if you want to go with more book, computer or hands on styles or a mix of it all if she can learn in all the different styles.

See if your library has a homeschool section of books or if you have a local homeschool library that you can go see what they have to piece something together.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Well she is hands on and visual, but enjoys reading.  I'm trying to figure out what to do for sixth grade and if any of it will work with fifth.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM

noeo homeschool science is built around the Charlotte Mason method.  Basically you pick books to follow what you are studying.  Then you draw, write observations, and definitions about what you have learned.  Many times when we are studying something we pick a subject and hit the library.  Find as many books as we can and just read.  We then will pick projects to follow our books and what we are studying about.  I also do searches on google for project ideas and worksheet helps. 

rainbowhills629
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I have a6th grade boy I am starting to home school on Monday. Our questions are the same as yours. I chose workbooks with answer keys because of the time involved with grading all the papers. He works better on his own so workbooks do well for us. I will be using some 4th and 5th grade papers to review and reinforce his math and language arts. Even if we do a unit study such as voting and government I will give him assignments to cover as many of his subjects as possible. The connections will help him remember the lesson and he won't realize he is doing all his work together.

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN