Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Advice

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello,

I'm new here and relatively new to homeschooling.  My dd is 5 and this is our first year of real homeschooling.  We did homeschool for preschool but it is what I would consider somewhat relaxed.

My dd is a quick learner and although she doesn't want to do school work sometimes she picks it up rather quickly.   The problem we're running into is that she seems bored/lonely.  Last year she had quite a few friends that didn't get into preschool ( we have a preschool shortage and highest need kids get in first, leaving very few openings) so we had playdates and the library offers classes 1-2 times a week for preschool age kids.  This year all of her friends started Kindergarten and we decided to continue homeschooling.  I LOVE the idea of homeschooling and knowing what she is learning and helping her and almost everything about it, but after the 1-1/2 hours max. it takes to do actual school work she spends the rest of the day trying to find stuff to do.  I can see she misses her friends and basically her social life.  We have a homeschool group about 20-25 minutes away that offers gym twice a week and we go to that but other than that the group doesn't seem that active.  She's a little too old for the library classes now and she does participate in soccer in the fall and t-ball in the spring but day to day she seems really bored and lonely :(

I don't want to send her to public school.  The schools around here are not acceptable in my opinion, this is one of the reasons we considered homeschooling but I don't know what else to do???

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

" The next major advance in the health of the American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself."- John Knowles

Want to learn more about natural health? Check out our blog!

www.healthhutch.blogspot.com

by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Have you looked into mom meet-up groups, and other homeschool groups that might be in your area.  Sometimes joining multiple groups helps.  Getting out and going to the park in the middle of a school day will also mean she might run into a few friends and she can also if the day is nice enough sit down and do her school work while she's out.

Creating a group where you can meet other homeschoolers, moms and families in your community and do things isn't a bad idea.  If you start it and just go on field trips and leave it open for others to join you, then over time you may end up with members who show up and want to be a part of your group.

rbmommy
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:52 PM
I agree with the above post. I homeschool my 4husband kids amd it was hard finding other homeschooling kids that they could socialoze with but it took some looking around. See if there is a homeschool group around that might help. Hope you find some other homeschoolers! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rbmommy
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM
Ugh this spell check on my mobile! Sorry. I homeschool my 4 kids. *socialize*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM

We have encountered the same problem here. The town is ultra-small and very few resources/activities. We are secular homeschoolers, but DD has just started attending this church (function) activity for children. Maybe something through a church or your church (?), 4H, or Girl Scouts? There are also two other scouts that I have heard about in the forums, but we don't have here...Earth Scouts and Spiral Scouts. I think thats what they are called.

oredeb
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

how bout some hobbies, beading, drawing, scrapbooking, paperdolls, both of you cooking together, reading if she does, maybe just looking at books, its ok not to be around friends all the time, maybe you could babysit someones children, make some money and your daughter can have some friends to play with,  also what the above moms suggest sounds good!,do you know anymore homeschoolers? you could school together with some classes, you could teach her to sew doll clothes if she plays with dolls, teach her some stuff on computer, she could draw and write a book using the templates on the comp. new version of microsoft has a lot of neat ones!

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Check with your State Home School Association.  They can usually direct you to local groups near you.  In these groups, you can take turns teaching the children as a group once a week (or so), field trips, ext.

Just in case you are not already connected to your State Association, you can click HERE, scroll down to your state, and you will find from one to three Associations in your State.

amyw.
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM
Thank you for all of your ideas, there are a lot of good ideas I can use/check in to!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN