Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you homeschool in the kitchen/dining room...

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM
  • 16 Replies
How do you keep it from LOOKING like you homeschool in the kitchen?

I'm debating on moving in there, because doing it in Julias room isn't working out, I just can't stay organized and motivated like we were in our "school room" before we gave the girls their rooms back.
I'm afraid if I don't do something I'll slack off. I already have this week, and we were doing SO good. I know most of it is just feeling blah from being pregnant, but organization is big for me. If I don't feel organized, I can't work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

We homeschool in either the kitchen or living room. I have these great little cube storage boxes/seating  -

I got mine for about $15 (even though they are listed on the website for something obnoxious like $104). Inside are all the books/workbooks we are using currently. I also have some small plastic bins with tops that are stacked inside my hutch, they have individual projects in them (like math or spelling games).

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 9:20 AM

We don't even try.  I don't try and hide the fact we homeschool.  I do keep it organized though and looking nice.  I have chemistry and US history map on the wall.  It gives them something to look at while they eat.  We took out our extra fridge and my husband built shelves there for me to put all our books.  I found kitchen table worked best for us but my kids are free to go anywhere they wish in the house. 

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM

We unschool & my kitchen & dinning room always look like we homeschool. There is always a half done project or left over supplies floating around the counter & on the floor.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I use storage drawers and little boxes for things. It is a struggle but after a bit of wiggling, it started working. LOL

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I have a bookshelf with our school stuff on it in the living room, I take what we need off of it, do it on the Kitchen table, put it back and get the next thing. Keeps us organized and on task.

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

sandra1023
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 2:02 PM

We have a huge coffee table in the living room that opens up and we keep all of our supplies in there.  We do work in the living & kitchen (science experiments are done in the kitchen).

gingergarcia
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I would say to get some folders and label them for each subject or whatever you put in them, keep them somewhere else organized. When you need a certain subject just pull that specific folder and the book you need and vice versa for each lesson! Of course everyone has their own way!

secondrose
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:39 PM

We each have a back pack to keep up with our own stuff-mine for the lesson plan book and teacher editions, hers for her notebooks, school books, pencil box, etc.   I make lesson plans by the week and keep anything that we aren't working on that particular week, in another part of the house.  LOL  Actually in the barn that was originally to be a schoolroom.   At the end of the "school day" everyone is responsible for putting their things where they belong and making the kitchen look like a kitchen again.  If it isn't cleaned up properly, "Oh well, guess I can't cook tonight..."  usually works.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I don't.  It's our life.  Our dining room is the project room and that's just how it is for now. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM
I get really stressed and anxious when it is out where I can see it. I know it is part of our life, I totally agree and wouldn't have a problem with it in theory, but actually seeing it would flip me out. I think I have OCD or something similar. And it's not that it is school stuff that bothers me, lol! Just the clutter of it. I feel like I can't breathe.

Quoting misselphaba:

I don't.  It's our life.  Our dining room is the project room and that's just how it is for now. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)