Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you homeschool in the kitchen/dining room...

Posted by   + Show Post
How do you keep it from LOOKING like you homeschool in the kitchen?

I'm debating on moving in there, because doing it in Julias room isn't working out, I just can't stay organized and motivated like we were in our "school room" before we gave the girls their rooms back.
I'm afraid if I don't do something I'll slack off. I already have this week, and we were doing SO good. I know most of it is just feeling blah from being pregnant, but organization is big for me. If I don't feel organized, I can't work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM
Replies (11-16):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM
These look great! How tightly do they shut? I'd need to keep my two year old out.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We homeschool in either the kitchen or living room. I have these great little cube storage boxes/seating  -

I got mine for about $15 (even though they are listed on the website for something obnoxious like $104). Inside are all the books/workbooks we are using currently. I also have some small plastic bins with tops that are stacked inside my hutch, they have individual projects in them (like math or spelling games).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommiemomma
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:57 AM
I have a four shelf cabinet with doors in the corner of my kitchen. When we are done with something we put it away.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Do you have an extra cupboard you can empty out?

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I do too.  BUT, I've also learned that when we *don't* have it out and easily, readily accessible, my kids get bored with waiting and I've lost that moment.  I feel the same way (like drowning in stuff), so we have our stuff all out in the shelves and stuff in the room, not laying out all over the table and floor.  If my kids can see it, they are more likely to do it.  If it's all hidden away...out of sight out of mind, I guess. 

I can't handle clutter, so it's all nice and neat.  But it's open and easily viewed by all who enter.  lol

Quoting Boobah:

I get really stressed and anxious when it is out where I can see it. I know it is part of our life, I totally agree and wouldn't have a problem with it in theory, but actually seeing it would flip me out. I think I have OCD or something similar. And it's not that it is school stuff that bothers me, lol! Just the clutter of it. I feel like I can't breathe.

Quoting misselphaba:

I don't.  It's our life.  Our dining room is the project room and that's just how it is for now. 

Danielle163
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I have the U.S. & world maps on the walls in addition to posters. We always have pens, pencils, rulers, etc sitting out. I don't try to hide it or conceal the mess too much--LOL

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM
I do have a small buffet hutch type thing I'm going to use the bottom half. I'll see if I can post pics later :) maybe you creative ladies can help me out!

Quoting mem82:

Do you have an extra cupboard you can empty out?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)