Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

needing some help please!

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM
  • 13 Replies
Ok so Im new to cm and Im also kinda new to home schooling. I've done a set curriculum for two years. We did Abeka, but in April we lost our home in an EF4 tornado that took our home and everything in it. We are just as of last week getting a home so we haven't had the chance (or money) to replace the Abeka but i saw a post on here about unschooling and "homemade" curriculums. So i was wondering if someone would be willing to explain these and maybe even help me figure out things for us to use. I have a 12 yr old son a 9 yr old daughter a 4 yr old daughter and a 16 mth daughter. i would love any help and advice and wisdom i can get. Oh i live in a very small town where no one home schools and thinks Im crazy for doing it! So there is no support here really thanks in advance for any help advice or just encouragement.
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I'm sorry about your home. I use the internet's free or  cheap websites to build my own worksheets/books. I also use the library and their resources to teach the kids. Youtube has a wonderful selection of videos on every topic. I use the grade standards to figure out what my kids need to learn every year and I take it from there. I homeschool 2 kids for about $100 a year. My younger two aren't old enough for school, yet.

butterfly12981
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM
Thanks for the reply! I haven't been able to replace our home computer yet the only way i can get online is on my phone. I hope to be able to replace it soon but other things have just come up and we haven't been able to. I will defentanly be going to the library to see what they may have that will help me because there is no way we can afford to replace the Abeka right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Maybe you can access the internet from your library and print there? Good luck!

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM

The library is a great place to start & most of them have computers set up for people to use to get on the Internet & will let you print things off for a small price so you could use the free homeschool worksheet sites & print them at the library until you get a computer & printer.

butterfly12981
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Can someone please give me some links for the sites so i can go and print if possible thanks in advance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gingergarcia
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I went to Books A Million store and purchased a membership and used it the same day to purchase every book that i knew i would need. They were pretty reasonable to compared to the internet companies prices, they have just about every grade and subjects you need! I also go to different websites like http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/  and print off any worksheets that i need! They have a large selection of subjects for different grades and they also have awards you can print out for your kids! I also way prior to homeschooling purchased how to books like writing and math help from scholastic. Now that i homeschool i have signed my school up for their book clubs, so i get better discounts on books or whatever we need from them and you earn bonus points with each order, so they send you free stuff with the orders.

secondrose
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Most libraries REALLY support homeschoolers!   They will let you use their equipment for searching and printing lessons.  And they should have a basic variety of school books.  I have never used a curriculum.  Just go to your state's Department of Ed website and, you should be able to find a link that lists the basics that should be covered for each grade.  Here, the only requirement for homeschooling is that the kids pass a standard end of grade test.  If it is the same where you are, there has to be a list what areas, in each subject will be included on the test.  If, you are real lucky, you can even view a sample test!   There is your lesson plan.  Good Luck!  Sorry that you've taken such a blow and hope your life gets back to normal very quickly.  It's good to hear you haven't given up!

butterfly12981
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Thanks so much for all the help!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM

8) Oh, here is an excellent grammar printable workbook for k-6th that someone suggested and I;ve been using.

http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)