Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

overwhelmed... how did you start?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have been running myself crazy reading every bit of information regarding homeschooling that I can get my hands on.  There's all the different methods, all the different academies & curriculums that you can sink your money into, worksheets and book or child-led exploration...

my oldest is only 5, but I have to have her registered in just a few short months when she turns 6.  I've been TRYING to get into some sort of schedule, failing miserably, by doing a few workbook pages from preschool/kindergarten math books & writing/penmanship... She's got the reading down, but she's becoming bored with it and failing to, or giving up on sounding out any difficult words.  I know that's largely due to me and my stress about it all--- I'm taking all the fun out of everything.

How did you figure out what works for you and your kids?  Did you invest loads of money into these curriculums only to find out that it wasn't what you thought?  Did you buy your own stuff? (...and may I add how incredibly expensive these workbooks can be!!!)  Do you let your child mention a subject they find interesting and somehow find the time and energy to come up with a weeks-worth (or more) of projects and stories and fun activities surrounding the chosen topic? 
I've got a 9-month old, a 3-year old and a 5-year old.  I want to homeschool, adamantly.  I just can't figure out where to start, what "method" I should try... how to know I'm not screwing it all up.   I don't want to start and fizzle myself right out of it by feeling like a failure. 

So, please, tell me... how did you begin?  What works and didn't work for you?  What do you hate but your kid(s) love?  How much money do you spend on homeschooling supplies? 

by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Breath Mama, deep breath in & deep breath out. I know it is all completely over whelming & scary but let me start by saying just have fun!

At that age it should all be about fun when homeschooling the rules are what you make as long as you do what your state says is required by law everything else is up to you & your child.

Do you know the laws for your state? Do you understand what the laws says ( this is very important because some times the wording can be confusing)?

Once you know the laws & understand them then choosing a curriculum or not choosing one & unschooling can be decided. I would find out your child learning style & let that be the main decision making in what & how things are done.

HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I completely agree with USmom!

Quoting usmom3:

Breath Mama, deep breath in & deep breath out. I know it is all completely over whelming & scary but let me start by saying just have fun!

At that age it should all be about fun when homeschooling the rules are what you make as long as you do what your state says is required by law everything else is up to you & your child.

Do you know the laws for your state? Do you understand what the laws says ( this is very important because some times the wording can be confusing)?

Once you know the laws & understand them then choosing a curriculum or not choosing one & unschooling can be decided. I would find out your child learning style & let that be the main decision making in what & how things are done.

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

cedailey
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I started looking years in advance, I found a style that resonated with me (charlotte mason), then found an inexpensive curriculum (Ambleside Online). I figured that since I didn't know what would work well for my kids, I might as well have one that works for me.  And since it's cheap, it won't hurt so much if I need to toss it.  This is our third year, and so far I have only tossed one book, but I knew within 2-3 weeks that it needed to go.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 9:52 PM

8) Remember at public school K, it's half day and half of that time is learning where/how/why  to sit/stand/potty. So you only need to be doing a little bit. Start at the basics, very bottom of the stack and work your way up. Does she know the ABCs? Shapes? Counting to 100? I would work on those basics every day for 10 or 15 minutes each. Every other day I would do 15 minutes of Social Studies (address, city, community helpers) or 15 minutes of Science (Where does rain come from, What are bees for?) That's it. The rest of what she WILL learn all on her own is gravy. 8) Just try to make your household educational. On Sunday when Dad's home to watch the others, have her help you make pancakes, talking about how to measure things or how the hot pan cooks the food. Any time she has a question, google it, youtube it. Write it down for later, to look up together. This is how kids that age learn best. Five year olds aren't made to sit down for more than a couple minutes, you'll go nuts trying. LOL

Also, try a easy lapbook together if you want a little more structure. They are great learning tools.

oredeb
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

How did you figure out what works for you and your kids?when i started there wasnt anything except abeka and bju, and they were to expensive, so i just made up my own stuff(oldest dd was 4) i made little unit studies that she was interested in with books from the library(there was no internet then)I started all the kids on phonics using ruth beechicks little reading booklet which only cost me 3.95 back then!  I made her up little booklets to read also to help with her phonics, as time went on and i added more kids, we kept to the unit studies, adding used or traded  or borrowed hs books, i never bought anything new unless i was gona keep it for a while, if i got something new to try i'd use it for about 3 months to see if it was gona work for us, if not trade or sell or give it away, so right now i have a base that i use for all the kids. ive used rod and staff for english and in the beginning rod and staff workbooks till 3rd grade then saxon for math for years!and the rest i put into my unit studies, but the last 3 years ive been adding the apologia science books so i will stick with them! the kids love them.

Did you invest loads of money into these curriculums only to find out that it wasn't what you thought?Nope never bought a full curr. i just bought used, traded or borrowed. but if i did i would just sell or trade it by piece or one complete pkg if i could and go on from there.

Did you buy your own stuff? (...and may I add how incredibly expensive these workbooks can be!!!) yes i bought my own stuff, but i would copy the workbooks, they were only 4-5 cents in those days!hahahaha

Do you let your child mention a subject they find interesting and somehow find the time and energy to come up with a weeks-worth (or more) of projects and stories and fun activities surrounding the chosen topic? Yes, thats exactly what i do even now, it worked good then so why quit!hahah, i dont school in the summers, thats when i make up my unit studies for the kids for the next school year

How much money do you spend on homeschooling supplies? not very much, just for pencils, they are like socks! they disappear!! we have can fulls of crayons, boxes full of colored pencils, we buy erasers, tacks, dup, notebooks when on sale, field trips(some cost money) so i spend about 50- 100 dollars a year for homeschooling now days. as for copying now i can do that at our church for free, i have a lot of homeschool books for reference for making my unit studies so bits and pieces of everything ive collected, and a whole file cabinet of loose pages! the kids get music lessons free down at the church from some of the members, we also have a co-op for the kids in the church

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Most State Home School Associations will help you find your way through the legal maze, and connect you with support groups in your area.  If you click on the following link , scroll down to your State, and click on that link state, it will take you to one or three choices in your State.

The best way to chew an elephant is one bite at a time.  You will do just fine.  How do I know? I can read the desire in your words...All you need to do is chill as usmom3 says, and it will happen a step at a time.

Home School State Associations

Jlee4249
by Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Ok, I looked it up and I get the gist of what a unit study is, but it would help if someone spelled it out to me... Simplify it a bit w/an example of what you've done
armylove2286
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM

ihave 4 kids, but only 3 i can homeschool because the oldest is 1 , i too feel just like you only i know my method is either unschooler or charolette mason both of which you can google about, i have spent all night looking up whats best for mykids and myself, i can't afford any of the curriculum its too high for me, so i am going to get a printer and use the resources that are available on the internet there are tons and tons...for reading and letter sounds why don't you use eductational games online like starfall.com or another site that has educational games they can't get bored easily with those, i bought flash cards:math-multiplication/division/addition/subtraction, spanish,and abcs and 123s. I'd rather teach my child something they are interested in rather than they not learn are be bored by what i have picked out, but i am in the same shoes as you

SuperFlyKy
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 4:46 AM

You should sign her up for readingeggs.com it is a lifesaver for parents with kids who are learning phonics. It does cost money but you can get a free trial to see if you like it. For the first couple of weeks my daughter did work in workbooks, but got so bored with them. Now we are only doing school on the computer with different games.

Since your daughter is going to be in Kindergarten, you don't have to spend any money. I did go to the dollar store and get a bunch of stuff for my daughter but we don't really use any of it now. So don't go out and spend a ton of money. You can have her play tons of different learning games on the computer and print tons of work sheets off the internet all for free. I was freaked out oo, but in the end I would rather my daughter be here with me than in school where I don't know what is going on.

Danielle163
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

You sound just like me when I started hs. Just take a breath and relax I'm one of those people that needed guides to let me know as to what I should be teaching. Home Learning Year by Year (Rebecca Rupp), What Your ___________ Needs to Know (E.D. Hirsch Jr), The Well-Trained Mind (Susan Wise Bauer). Rupp's gives guidelines (you don't have to follow them to a "T") as to what you should be teaching/what grade, great book titles, tips, ideas,etc. Bauer's book gives great book lists for a classical education. Hirsch's books has guidelines and you can actually use it in hs if you choose to. Rainbow Resource Center is a great place to buy anything you could ever want. They have workbooks that are pretty reasonable. The longer that you hs , the more you will know what is going to work for your children. If she's  going into K. you could just go to the library and get books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)