Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group and ready to share my story.

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello ladies, my name is Amanda. A mother to three lovely little ladies. Brooklyn, Julia and Amelia Rose. I've not started home schooling yet but want to more than anything. I only have Brooklyn in school right now. She's 9 and have been going to public school for four years. She's been retained to the third grade. Ever since I started her in public school she has had issues with being bullied and confidence issues. It boils down to really... I am her teacher.. I've taught her everything she knows.. basically. Anyway, it takes two to tango.. .and my husband doesn't care.. it's a whole different ball game.. but he won't help me. Where do I begin ladies? Do I go to the board of education and pull my daughter out? Where do I get her books? I've already read the rules in Kentucky.. that's where we are living. Do I go through HSLDA?? I wish my mate was supportive. Thank you ladies much!

by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM
I believe in ky there aren't many rules. So you have that on your side!
First I'd pull her, and since she has been in school so long, I'd take a couple months to deschool. Kids need a little time to adjust. Maybe just do something light with her. During this time of adjustment, research the different methods of homeschooling. We use a mixture of the Charlotte mason method and classical method. Then go from there!
I read the book "the well trained mind" and it helped me by giving me recommendations on curric and what should be learnt in each grade. Then I used the curriculum guide at www.simplycharlottemason.com which also gives curric and info by grade. And I researched until I found what would work best for each subject for us.
Also,if she is in third but should be I'm fourth, yo have the freedom to put her in fourth grade math, third grade reading, fourth grade history, or whatever you need! Then she isn't reviewing the subjects she doesn't need to review (like she would by being held back a grade in public school).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Hi Amanda,

I've been homeschooling for 15 years with four children (the oldest is in college at University of California, Merced and the youngest is almost 5).  HSLDA is a good resource for information about and support for homeschooling, especially at the beginning and/or where you are having to deal with a removing children, etc. (I have certain issues with their political positions on matters other than homeschooling and the role of parents in raising their children, but in general they have been helpful.)  I would suggest that you join and review all of their information before you pull your daughter out.  As you probably know, they have a great website with information on "how to homeschool" in every state. 

Regarding books and curricula, I don't know what your financial situation is, nor what "works" for your daughter.  We've used a variety of materials over the years.  While I now prefer Saxon for math for our two middle children, I use Abeka, for our youngest.  I supplement with the least expensive flashcards I can find.  Abeka is much less expensive than Saxon.  It does have a Christian orientation (we're Jewish, so it's sometimes a little strange to be talking about someone going on a mission in a word problem, LOL), but if you are Christian, or even not strongly anti-Christian, it shouldn't be a problem.   If your daughter is a "hands on" learner, you might also consider "Math-U-See."  I have not used it, but for some children, particularly those who are struggling a bit, it might help.  I'm a great believer, though, in memorizing math facts, which means, usually, flashcards everyday no matter what other program you are using. 

With reading, I've generally stuck with just reading aloud and pointing at the words to get started.  However, I'm using "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" with our youngest, along with Bob Books and other easy readers.  Abeka has graded readers, but frankly, I think that going to the library and getting books that are at the right level works just as well, once the child can actually read.  If you want to splurge, our two oldest children got a lot of benefit out of The Phonics Game -- they spell better than I do.  It's insanely expensive, but if you have more than one child, you can use it for a long time. 

For writing, I would suggest starting with just copying well-written paragraphs from children's books.  I've also used "Writing with Ease" from Peace Hill Press.  My daughter, aged 10, likes that program, and I think she's done well with it.  I've used Abeka for formal grammar. For spelling, I've been using Spelling Power by Beverly L. Adams-Gordon.  Again, expensive, but worth it - and it can be used with multiple kids (it covers K through college level words).  It's the best spelling program I've seen.  It's worked very well for my daughter who is not a natural speller (she is not a "phonics" learner -- although, of course, she has learned phonics). 

For history, you have a lot of choices, but I've been using Peace Hill Press' four volume history series, Story of the World.  But I've also used Kingfisher History of the World, and just read a few pages each week, with supplemental activities, like timelines, fiction and non-fiction books about what we're reading about, etc.  For lower level grades, this works well. 

Science is more difficult.  Frankly, for the younger ones, I've farmed it out to our local children's museum, where there are classes for homeschoolers.   I"ve used K-12 in the past (again, insanely expensive), but frankly, although their programs are okay for younger children -- including 3rd / 4th graders -- I've not been happy with their programs for 6th grade and up.  You could take a look and see. 

I'm also a great believer in learning foreign language young -- the younger the better.  Although there are some programs out there like Rosetta Stone (insanely expensive), I think that those work better as supplements.  The best way of learning a foreign language is with a teacher, live.  Fortunately, with the internet, it is possible to do this, and often relatively inexpensively.  Check out Edufire (http://www.edufire.com/) -- which acts as a clearing house for tutors. You do have to check them out -- some are good, some aren't.   I've also put ads at the local colleges for native speakers who would be willing to "play" with my children for a few hours a week (babysitting AND foreign language!)  It works -- our oldest was so advanced in Spanish that in his first year of college he was put into the "heritage speakers" class -- i.e., the one for kids that spoke Spanish at home -- and they all are relatively fluent in Japanese as well.  

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas.  Good luck! 

P.S. I noticed that another responder has recommended The Well-Trained Mind -- I agree, that's a great book for ideas, and it's written by the same folks who started Peace Hill Press. 

Danielle163
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I checked the HSLDA map and your a low regulation state. Parental notification is the requirement. So you would just need to go to your residing school district and let them know that you will be removing and homeschooling your DD and fill out your paperwork (I would make copies). You've gotten tons of great info already. My DH now supports me, but he doesn't want to do any of the hs. He gets real panicky-LOL. Yeah, I don't know your financial situation but there is quite a bit of free stuff that you can print off of the internet. tlsbooks.com, superteacherworksheets.com are two that come to mind. Rebecca Rupp's book (Home Learning Year to Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School) is an excellent book that gives you guidelines as to what you should be teaching and at what grade, in addition to book titles, tips, ideas, etc. E.D. Hirsch Jr's books (What Your _______ Needs to Know) I believe these start at Preschool or K. and go to 6th grade. Very helpful. The Well-Trained Mind is really good also. If your DD likes a computer-tutor, you might check into Teaching Textbooks (teachingtextbooks.com). They start at third grade and you will want to give your DD the placement test. There is also Time4Learning.com. Its $20/month for 1st child and $15/month for the 2nd. It has math,Lang Arts, SS and Science. You might want to supplement some if you use it. Rainbow Resource Center is a GREAT place to get whatever/anything you could ever want for homeschooling. If your library is not so good, you can get used books on Amazon.com. 

Sorry to hear your DD has being bullied. My DD is in third grade and she was removed from ps due to the same reason. Welcome to homeschooling!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Hi! Welcome!

Wow! Kentucky needs to clarify there laws a little. I looked the up and they are a little tangled. Anyway, lol, it looks like a very easy state to homeschool in. Go to your Superintends office and pull her out. It's usually just a letter, they can tell you.

As far as where to begin, homeschooling is a lifestyle change. Don't let yourself get swamped. 8) Trying to teach 8 subjects in a day will overwhelm you both. The way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time and an education is definitely an elephant. Take it slow and stay with basics for a while, reading and math. How to teach these depends on your daughters personality. Does she do better being visual or maybe she's more of a listener? Go to Barnes & Noble and flip through their homeschool book selections. They have several curriculum and workbooks. *Math U See is easy to follow*. Homeschooling is as cheap or expensive as you make it.

Right now it sounds like you need to deschool and work on her confidence. Everything else can wait a few months. Try to find a nice homeschool class to join. Jo Ann Fabrics has sewing classes during the day for kids. Bullying has a way of wounding so deeply, she might not feel like she can learn, poor thing. 8( So you work on healing her ego and then you'll be a little more used to her being home, (it's an adjustment). Teaching will start happening naturally.

Good luck!

Typed with 1 hand while holding a baby LOL so it's a little mixed up, sorry.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Oh, read some blogs! You'll see how different homeschoolers work and maybe something will click with their style.

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

good idea amanda, take her out however your suppose to according to Kentucky laws, and then forget about the public schools, find a homeschool group in your area, or if you go to church their might be some there, hook up with them they will help! or check at the local library, they usually know the local homeschoolers and have phone numbers where you can call and get some starting help!  you dont have to school brooklyn like they do in the ps, take a break for a month or so, both of you get use to being together and learning together, do a bunch of reading together(with the other kids), play some games, lots of art, let her start to enjoy learning again, ask her if theres anything she would love to learn about, and do some research together.

during this time you can do some homeschool research, theres books at th library about it, on the Internet about it, maybe you have a homeschool store in your town? they can give you info also,

this is the beginning of a fantastic time for you all!! yea!!!

and if you just want to keep her doing school, and need books, check the used stores, goodwill, salvation army etc they usually have old school books you can buy and use, the subjects to keep her going in are math and language arts the other subjects you can add latter when you know what your doing if you want.

and also online theres plenty for kids

math-  http://ginaotto.com/math.html

language arts- http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

all subjects http://oldfashionededucation.com/

how old are the other kids?

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Mothers have instincts where their children are concerned, and it sounds like you have made up your mind to home school. If that is the case, just do it, and the path will open for you.  Start by contacting your State Home School Association, and finding support groups there.  Here is an article to get you started with that and more:

How To Home School

mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Where in Ky are you? Ky is pretty easy & I think  you have to give a 2 week notice in writing. Our district sends a form letter to fill in....I always copy it & keep one for myself. PM me if you have any questions, I'll help as much as I can. This is my first full yr. We pulled them out in Feb of last yr.

Mamato3Nunns
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I too am in Kentucky. Campbellsville. If you know where that is. We are currently the only family in our church that home school if you can believe that. It was hard for us to believe! My mom home schools my little brother and sister. My sister is 8 and in second grade and my brother is 12 and in 7th. I am new to homeschooling. I have a kindergartner and a preschooler and a 1 year old. Good luck.

gingergarcia
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 7:44 PM

You go to your state website for non-public education for where you live and apply online for a Notice Of Intent to Homeschool. You will recieve a email verification to homeschool, print out two copies of this. One to take to the school to withdrawl your child, one for your records. The best place to get your childs books is a store, like Books A Million and purchase a membership cheap, then you use it to get all the work books they will need for each grade& subject. You can also go to website http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/ and print out any worksheet you need for each subjects and more. Also keep in an important folder with your homeschool verification form, copy of child immunizations records, a attendance record sheet, get yourself a lesson planner that you will write down what subjects you done and the dates you did them. I hope this helps you some, if you need more advice just ask!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)