Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you aim for your child's education?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: When you plan your child's education, where do aim for them to be? Even if a person can't hit the bulls eye, you still aim for something. What is it for your family?

Options:

Top of their age group or past it

Keeping up with their age group

It doesn't matter if they're "behind" because we homeschool

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:09 AM
We aim for the top, because we want to do our best. But I don't really do it because I want her to be ahead of her mates, and we don't stress about it. Really, it is where she is naturally which is one reason we chose to homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mynameismuerte
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM

We aim for the top because just like Boobah said, we want to do our best.  Doing school at home is not an excuse to be lazy.  It's perfectly okay if it takes longer to grasp certain concepts or if they fall behind some in a couple of areas so long as we keep chugging along at it.  That's the beauty of homeschool; they can fall behind and still catch up rather than fall behind and never be given the chance to catch up.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Yes, this.

Quoting mynameismuerte:

We aim for the top because just like Boobah said, we want to do our best.  Doing school at home is not an excuse to be lazy.  It's perfectly okay if it takes longer to grasp certain concepts or if they fall behind some in a couple of areas so long as we keep chugging along at it.  That's the beauty of homeschool; they can fall behind and still catch up rather than fall behind and never be given the chance to catch up.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I will say, that I try to keep an eye on the over all base line and go with what will work with each of my kids. Missie easily stays at the top of her age group, and will perform well. Cole is still young and has trouble concentrating and hates to test or perform so we work around that.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM

None of these really fit us.  I would care very much if my kids were lagging behind in their personal potential.  I find I really don't care what everyone else is doing though.  I just want them to reach for the stars no matter what.  My goal for them is to work hard, love reading and to never loose their thirst for knowledge.  If I can instill those qualities then I have succeeded in homeschooling them no matter what anyone else may say.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Because in my research of homeschooling & child development I have learned that the ages we believe children should learn to read, write & do math are based off of what the government says is the right age & not the real right age ( kids are so diversely different that you could never pick one age for a child to hit a mile stone & be right for all of them) so I answered " It doesn't matter if they are behind " Because in the end once they are adults it wont matter how old they where when they learned to read, write & do math as long as they know how to do them & do them well.

oredeb
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

cute picture!!! i use to have a bloodhound growing up named twinkles!

who sets the standards? i dont have to go by what the public schools standards are, or anyone elses! yea!!

i teach my own kids so i will set our standards! im glad i dont have to keep up with others! thats why i homeschool!hahahahahahaha

wright1212
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I chose ahead, but I know that is not the case for all subject areas for my DD. ALSO my son, 9, is at a 3yo level so he will always be very behind everyone. At first I wanted to go for state standards so she would do well on assessment in 3rd grade. But now I think I will just have her tested when I feel its needed and work on anything she happens to be behind on.

lucsch
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

My dd is at all different levels, but I don't feel she is behind at all. I do look at standards, but some I choose to ignore, for now. I still think she is ahead of her peers.

noraa21
by Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM

For us, it's actually about catching up this year, (hopefully) and then working maybe a little ahead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN