Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I want to home school...

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

I want to home school but DH doesn't want me to. How should I bring it up to him so he can see the benefits?

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on Oct. 23, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I am honestly not sure since this was not an issue for me. I would start by making a pros and cons list for homeschool vs public or even private school. Then I would make a list of all the things that you would want to do with your child at home that can not be done away from home ( to even it out I would also list positive things that your child would not be exposed to at home) . Lastly I would get a list of resources that are available to you for homeschool and show him all of it. I would also talk to him and find out what his concerns are and voice yours as well. One other thing that I know alot of husbands ( and some wives) have an issue with is the "cost" of homeschool. Many people ( including my husband and I at one time) think that homeschool is expensive. To address this I would get a list of FREE or low cost resources, as well as any thing that you would want to have. Good luck I hope it all works out for you .

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM
I'd read everything you can get your hands on, and read little passages that stand out to him. Tell him why you want to homeschool. Ask him his concerns on why he doesn't. Maybe make a list like sew said. If there is a homeschool convention coming near you in the spring ask him to attend with you (if you can wait that long) just to check it out. They have amazing speakers, and the other homeschoolers are so helpful. Just watching how well behaved all the children were sold my hubby :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM
Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM

get books, like fom John Taylor Gatto

mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 24, 2011 at 1:27 PM

If it were me I woudl start by finding out WHY he doesn't want you to home school. Take each reason & show him how it's either not true or you're goign to make it work.

oredeb
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM
john taylor gatto is a good one! you could ask him what he wants for his kids in school? what his goals are for them?
gingergarcia
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Start by sitting him down and letting him know all the benefits of homeschooling verses the bad of public schools. Tell him that your child will have a better bond, one on one teaching which will help them learn better. Your child will definately not get this in public school even if he/she needs help from the teacher. There will definately never be any bullying against your child ever. The child can learn at their own pace. I am sure he will come around once he understands these issues more clearly now! Good Luck!

EaiB
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Listen to him as to why he doesn't want to. Really listen and address those concerns rather than trying to win him over.

My husband was initially against it. However, I worked as an art sub. for a long while before my children were born...and the schools scared me. I told him some of what I saw, and why it bothered me so. Eventually, he understood, but we both had to learn that both sides of this have major benefits and rather large drawbacks. Now, we've switched positions a bit and will only be homeschooling for pre-k, then possibly again in 3rd grade when k-12 online can help pick up the curriculum slack, but we are both passionate for the kids to learn new things, and that desire will continue whether or not the little ones go to a school building for half of the day. If your spouse is dead set against his children being homeschooled, and researching doesn't seem to bring him to your way of seeing things, then you can always compromise and be a part-time homeschooler. Sure, school is a tough experience for some (and if a child struggles, that may win the arguement over it immediatly) but it is not the end of the world or even the determining factor of your child's future, especially if you are very involved with them and stay involved with whatever school...

Diggems0312
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM
I just had this issue while I was preparing to withdraw my ds#1. Turns out, DH was just worried I would go crazy home with no one to talk to and that I would just quit. I reminded him of how close ds and I are, that we are volunteering and how I have busted my behind to get things in order for ds to home school. I asked for his support and let him know I was always open to his opinion. Ds has has drastically better behavior since he withdrew too so that helped.

Just talk to him and ask him to explain his reasons. If you can't reassure him right away, ask for time to create a plan and then present it to him.

GOOD LUCK!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 11:00 AM

tortia let us know how it goes,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN