Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you get "the look"?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:08 AM
  • 11 Replies
When you tell people you are homeschooling, do you get that look? The one that is either shock, disapproval, or comfusion? I get it all the time! But I have to say, we get a LOT of compliments too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I know the look you are talking about. I just laugh, and say, "Yeah, it's a little off the beaten path." 8)

I get the same look when people see I have four children. LOL

mynameismuerte
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I only have three kids and if I had a dollar for every time someone says, "You must have your hands full" I'd be a very rich woman.

As for THAT look for homeschooling, I still seriously dread it.  There seems to be no middle ground with people.

Quoting mem82:

I know the look you are talking about. I just laugh, and say, "Yeah, it's a little off the beaten path." 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:48 AM

It's amazing what people say to my husband and I about having 4 kids. It annoys me when they say it in front of the kids, too. Especially, the things about how Rob can't get rid of me because I'd kill him in child support. Really, people?! LOL Oy!

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I only have three kids and if I had a dollar for every time someone says, "You must have your hands full" I'd be a very rich woman.

As for THAT look for homeschooling, I still seriously dread it.  There seems to be no middle ground with people.

Quoting mem82:

SilentDraconia
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM
Always! I love the look. I raise my children not the public school system. Because we've seen how well they are doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silvamom24
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM
I get that look when i go out with my 4 kids by myself, i get it when i tell them that they r homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM

It used to bother me now what bothers me when the people say " Oh, I would love to do that but I can't because of ( insert reason here )" 

It doesn't matter the reason, to me if you truly want to do it you will find a way to. I think this is just a polite way for them to agree with me & excuse themselves from not doing what I do ( I think people have the problem about being different from anyone & will go out of their ways to find something incommen.

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM

wow boobah, ive never had the look!hahahah never had a negative thing said to us about homeschooliing in all the years! maybe cuz where im from its very predominate. but then again who knows what people say behind your back!ha

katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Yep...but I've gotten compliments from surprising sources too.  I'm learning to enjoy the compliments, and ignore the looks ;-D

noraa21
by Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

The thing that bothers me the most is when people ask my DS why he isn't in school and when he says I am homeschooled, they start in asking him twenty questions.  After about the second question someone ask him, he will say excuse me but I am not suppose to talk to strangers! LOL!  This is our first year and I can't believe how many times we have gotten asked this already.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I think this is a fitting comment for that scenario.

Quoting noraa21:

The thing that bothers me the most is when people ask my DS why he isn't in school and when he says I am homeschooled, they start in asking him twenty questions.  After about the second question someone ask him, he will say excuse me but I am not suppose to talk to strangers! LOL!  This is our first year and I can't believe how many times we have gotten asked this already.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)