Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having a No Homeschool day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

Ok, as some of you know Cody is 10yrs old and in the 5th grade. This is our first year homeschooling. I went to get him up today. He said he was tiered he did not get much sleep last night, this was at 10 am eastern time. I told him he needed to get up so we can get some work done. He would not move. I uncovered him and sat him up and he just sat there like a marionette puppet, wating for me to pull the strings.  I threw the blamkets back on him and said I was going down to call the school and tell them he was coming back to school. That didn't work. I took the dogs out and when I came back he was still in bed. I wen't up and said, " you agreed to do this home school stuff now you have to do it", he said, "I don't want to do it anymore". So I said, "then you will have to go back to school. It is eather homeschool or regular school", he did not answer. I am so frustrated right now, I want to scream. I am still going to try to get him to do work but it is going to be hard. 

My bloggs

http://penny-adventuresinhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2011/08/about-us.html

http://penny-schoolrefusal.blogspot.com/

by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I would go upstais and exscuse him from work today. Maybe he didn't sleep well last night. Tell him, he will have to make up the work tomorrow and maybe do an extra chore today. As long as he doesn't do this every day, I'd let it go for now. We all have off days.

Penmom4
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Thanks mem82
Penmom4
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

The only thing I can see is he realy is not tiered because he has toyes with him in bed. Just took them away.

oredeb
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

good idea mem, what about deschooling him for a while, getting the idea of how public school is out of him and you!

nikki0522
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

You should talk to him and find out WHY he doesn't want to do his schoolwork. Maybe he doesn't enjoy the curriculum or the approach you're taking. Maybe he's bored or burnt out.

Penmom4
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM

ok I read a page about deschooling http://www.livingjoyfully.ca/unschooling/getting_started/what_is_deschooling.htm  in the reading it says take a few months to de school, oulden't that have been summer vacation? But then I read to deschool 1 month for every school year atended sofar. He is in 5th grade, so that would be 5 to 6 months. I juess I will never be able to let him go back to school if he ever decides he wants to go back.  This is a hard decision and I will have to read more on the deschooling and unschooling. Thanks oredeb. I have a lot of reading, thinking and talking over with with hubby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)