Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Organization and planning overload...

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi guys! So I said hi before on the new moms thread. I just pulled my 6th grader out of the most awful public school I've ever been in. As a matter of fact, when we went to retrieve some things he left behind today, the school smelled like urine. It was gross. Add that to the increase in bullying, harrassment from teachers and ridiculous levels of sexual promiscuity IN AN INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL and withdrawing him was the only option. That said, I am on overload when it comes to getting organized, creating a schedule and such. I already ordered a curriculum that I believe will work for us together. I'm just feeling confused when I try to set up everything.

What daily/weekly schedules do you follow?

How do you organize your homechool stuff?

Any other advice or websites I can go to?

Thanks so much!!!

by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gingergarcia
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I usually homeschool Monday- Friday, that includes for my 6th grader math, social studies, language arts, grammar, spelling, writing, science, reading. My youngest is just getting ready, so we do the basics for her pre-k/ k level only. I have folders for all my worksheets and other subjects and projects, crafts and so on. I label them and keep them on shelfs. Anytime I need them I just grab them and get what I need out, then return them. I bought a binder for math, one for social studies, one that I divided up the subjects of lang. arts, grammar, spelling, writing with dividers. I have one for science, one for reading. This really makes it easy for me and her to keep up with all her work, since I don't let her write in her workbooks. One website I would recommend for you is http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/ because they carry alot of worksheets that can be printed for any grade level subject  like grammar, spelling, writing, math, science, and so forth! You are going to have your own homeschool name, so now you should go to http://www.scholastic.com/  and sign your school up for book groups. Once you get a email confirmation, you can choose the catalogs for free you want sent to your house, then you order. You as a teacher will earn bonus points that gets your child free stuff with orders to. They carry education books, like homework and lesson help, and other subjects as well as reading books and games. Also you can look up worksheets for free and other subjects just by typing them in, hope this helps you and good luck!

oredeb
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM

What daily/weekly schedules do you follow?

hi diggems!our schedule is:

9- start school bible, math till around 9:45 or 10

10- language arts till about 10:45

11- our unit study which will take us till 12 or 1

then lunch, finish up chores, read, play , etc,

5- get ready for dinner etc

How do you organize your homechool stuff?

i organize with file cabinets and book shelves! i'd be lost without my file cabinet!haha i use the bookshelves for books and art supplies(containers on the bookshelves)

Any other advice or websites I can go to?

what really helps me is to make out a lesson plan every friday or saturday of what i want to accomplish the next week, even if we dont get the stuff all done i'll just bring it over to the next week or cross it off, but i always know what im doing if i get interrupted , we can always look on the lesson plan to see whats not been done or whats next.

what about deschooling your son for a month or so? then you have a bit more time to organize and get things set, and your son gets to get the ps out of his system!

what curriculum did you order???

Diggems0312
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 10:35 PM
@ginger... I never thought about scholastic so thanks for that! And I'm always needing good worksheet sites. @debbie... I ordered Aplha Omega's 6th grade LifePac but I'm supplementing with some of my own goals and curriculum. I hav always bee great at creating early childhood curriculum but not sure where I need to be for his level. An awesome mom at church let us dig through her curriculum and he really liked it. I figured we could start with it and I can tweak things as we go and for next year if needed. I just got a file cabinet! I think that will help. We have minimal storage or room so I have to be creative. I'm recycling his school supplies I bought at the start of the year for or purposes. Texas is particular about start dates here so he gets a break until the curriculum gets here and I can do lesson plans. I'm struggling for P.E. activities to do with him. I don't feel it's neccessary to buy a lesson set for that. Any ideas?
oredeb
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:35 PM

hahaha curr. for pe!hahahahah now thats funny! what about jogging together, soccer team, baseball team, gynastics, boxing, fencing, just doing some exercises every day, remember jumping jacks, knee bends, stretches, etc for 1/2 hour daily, riding bike, jumping rope, weights lifting, swimming ymca, or a gym

what do you mean texas is particular about start dates?

wow thats neat you got to raid someones curr!!!! yea! nice lady! maybe you can do some stuff with her, gym stuff? or even do some co op classes together?

aop, workbooks, they use to be only in black and white but they are in color now, that makes it funner!hahaha good curr.

Diggems0312
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Texas wants you to tell them what date you started blah blah blah. I know I could just give them one and do what I want. Ds would pick up on that and we are working on honesty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN