Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

does anyone know???

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM
  • 15 Replies
does anyone know if there are any free places that would be good to go to for a field trip in lufkin, corrigan, livingston, goodrich, shepard, cleveland, humble or huntsville Texas? Basically within a 1 hour drive from where I live. We are in livingston Texas. Like museums, farms that might be open to the public, art galleries anything like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:08 AM
Well we don't live in that area, but on base we have a free museum for aviation it's beautiful. Maybe try seeing if there is anything like that there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armylove2286
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:26 AM

it isn't free but its $5 general admission at blue bell factories when we visit family in houston we always go its reall yneat

donnadea
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 3:03 AM
cool the bluebell factory thing sounds cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM

donna do you have a library? if you can go to it they would know, and they probably have internet you can use!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I'm not sure, being in Ohio but maybe you could contact your state's tourist information department.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I used to live in the Lufkin aria give me some time & I will come back with a list for you!

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM

There is the Ellen Trout Zoo in lufkin ( you could call & ask them about a homeschool price)

I found this about the Houston ZOO Effective September 1, 2010 the Houston Zoo will offer free admission to our guests on the first Tuesday of every month from 2 p.m. until closing. For more information, visit our Free Day Q&A page.

Lone Star Card Admission

The Houston Zoo’s Lone Star Card admission program allows free Houston Zoo admission for card holders receiving SNAP and/or WIC benefits only. Admission to the Houston Zoo is free (limit 5 persons - 2 adults/3 children of the same address household - per visit), for residents presenting their valid current original award letter (letter must show benefit start date and benefit end expiration date, no photocopies or faxes accepted) and a valid photo ID for both adults (Texas Drivers License or Texas Department of Public Safety photo ID card ONLY) to confirm card holder status and same address household. The Lone Star Card holder of record must accompany their party. Tickets issued day of visit only; no advance tickets will be issued. Offer not valid for ticketed special events.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM

The Texas Forestry Museum in Lufkin is free

http://www.treetexas.com/index.html

Museum of East Texas

503 N Second – Lufkin • 936.639.4434 • http://www.metlufkin.com/

This museum offers changing exhibitions of art and history, public programming, lectures and gallery talks by artists and scholars, workshops and classes for children and adults, summer Art Camp, Super Saturdays, Traveling Trunk exhibits, and docent guided tours, by appointment.

The History Center

102 N Temple – Diboll • 936.829.3543 • http://www.thehistorycenteronline.com

Exciting exhibits, both inside and out, help interpret this public history and archives center's growing collections including manuscripts, photographs, maps, and a Texas and forest reference history.

donnadea
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM

oh thank you I do get foodstamps so I will look into that thing about getting into the houston zoo for free. And I will have to look up the forestry museum also :)

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Your welcome! We are planing a trip to East Texas some time in the next year & I am going to look in to things to do with my kids so if I find anything else I will post it here for you too.

Quoting donnadea:

oh thank you I do get foodstamps so I will look into that thing about getting into the houston zoo for free. And I will have to look up the forestry museum also :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)