Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you go out on Black Friday?

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM
  • 27 Replies

do you go shopping?

is it usually crowded?

do you find good deals?

Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day, many retailers open very early, often at 4 a.m., or earlier, and offer promotional sales to kick off the shopping season, similar to Boxing Day sales in many Commonwealth countries. Black Friday is not actually a holiday, but many employers give their employees the day off, increasing the number of potential shoppers. It has routinely been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005,[1] although news reports, which at that time were inaccurate,[2] have described it as the busiest shopping day of the year for a much longer period of time.[3]

The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving[4]. Use of the term began by 1966 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the period during which retailers are turning a profit, or "in the black."[5]

by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM

We went ONE year and it was crazy. Plus we had to drive 55 miles to get to the stores. Anymore we shop online on T-day. I think the deals are better.

tmgonz
by Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:32 AM

My husband and I go.  We go get the paper on Thanksgiving and then we plan out our trip.  We love it. There are some good deals and depending on where you go it can get crowded. Last year there was a line with hundreds of people for Toysrus. We did not even bother to park.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I never have but I would like, too.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Nope, I love to save but I wont go out on that day but I do do the cyber Saturday deals sometimes.

Tiffanydshives
by Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM
I love it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Yes on all three questions and I LOVE IT!!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Does anyone get out there at 3am?

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Yes on all three.  We leave hours before the store opens and usually line up with our peppermint mocha in the line.  We tend to meet a lot of good people and it's usually a rather happy energetic experience people get caught up in.

I will say this much we've gone once while on vacation visiting family in another state and didn't like it, nor would I if I lived in that state we ever want to go.  I think it's because we live in a larger state with more shopping and stores available and if you don't like one there's another of that same store within close driving distance, whereas our family we were visiting at the time live in a state where there's one major city everybody in that city and surrounding go to for their shopping needs/wants.

tmgonz
by Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Last year we went to Walmart and got in line at 10pm the sale started at 12. Then we went home around 2 ate a piece of cake drank a cup of coffe and left back out and got back home around 9 Friday morning.

utkallie
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
It's kind of become a tradition for DH and I. I even went one year while I was in labor. I went to the hospital after we were done shopping:)

The stores are not horribly crowded here imo. Best Buy is the only one I really avoid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)