Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you go out on Black Friday?

Posted by   + Show Post

do you go shopping?

is it usually crowded?

do you find good deals?

Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day, many retailers open very early, often at 4 a.m., or earlier, and offer promotional sales to kick off the shopping season, similar to Boxing Day sales in many Commonwealth countries. Black Friday is not actually a holiday, but many employers give their employees the day off, increasing the number of potential shoppers. It has routinely been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005,[1] although news reports, which at that time were inaccurate,[2] have described it as the busiest shopping day of the year for a much longer period of time.[3]

The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving[4]. Use of the term began by 1966 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the period during which retailers are turning a profit, or "in the black."[5]

by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM
Replies (21-27):
missg8
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

No not in years.

Michelle914
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I enjoy going through the ads and planning which stores I'd like to go to.  I don't go for the early, big ticket specials.  It's too crowded and the people get rough in our town!  Every year our local paper runs an article on what happened and how people got hurt during the Black Friday shopping in our town.  So, I go late in the morning just before the sales end and there are less people and they are not fighting over the "big specials"!  I enjoy it at that time and can still get good deals on stocking stuffers and the like!

oredeb
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

oh yea i remember hearing about guns!! women in fights over a pair of underware, i remember one year they took a picture of a woman dressed in camo!!!hahahahaha

Quoting Michelle914:

I enjoy going through the ads and planning which stores I'd like to go to.  I don't go for the early, big ticket specials.  It's too crowded and the people get rough in our town!  Every year our local paper runs an article on what happened and how people got hurt during the Black Friday shopping in our town.  So, I go late in the morning just before the sales end and there are less people and they are not fighting over the "big specials"!  I enjoy it at that time and can still get good deals on stocking stuffers and the like!

marshallmommy
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I LOVE it!  I choose what stores I will be going to.  I avoid Toys R Us at all costs.  I usually hit Kmart, Walmart and Target.  We always get great deals on movies.  It is terribly crowded and I love it!  I usually go with either my SIL or a friend.  We shop until we are done and then go get breakfast and relax.  I look forward to it every year!

suziejax
by Member on Oct. 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I used to go out but I wont anymore its to much drama and fights and lines. Now I just do it online

oredeb
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM
its almost here!!!
mrsjones2207
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM

This will be my first...kinda excited!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)