Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My high school daughter is ADD and her biggest struggle is in learning and applying what are called "executive skills" - organization, planning, responsibility, time management, etc. Academics come easy (she falls into the gifted IQ range), but these other skills have never come to her, despite everything we've done to try to teach her.

Now she has received failing grades in two of her classes and though both teachers tell me that she understands the material, the problem is simply the day-to-day work of getting things done and turned in correctly and on time. Writing the best paper in the world doesn't mean anything if you don't start it until the day it's due and turn it in a week late.

So now I'm considering pulling her out to homeschool her, but I need to make the case for DH that keeping her home is somehow going to teach her those skills so that when we send her to college, she'll be able to succeed.

How can I teach those skills at home when I haven't been able to get her to learn them until now, with the teachers on my side?

SusanTheWriter

Wife, Mom, Author

by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM
Replies (11-13):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I just picked up a book from the library called "Smart But Scattered" about teaching executive skills - or basically, working on overcoming some of the ADD limitations.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Quoting usmom3:

This is a problem for kids on the Autism spectrum as well & I deal with it everyday with my 18 y/o son that has Autism. You have to try everything like list, schedule, timers, etc..... until you find what works for her.

I would love to tell you that something has worked for my son but alas we are still looking for that magical way for him, but we know what doesn't work & what not to try & that is helpful to know when trying to figure out what will.

I'm in the same position as my oldest (10 y/o) has Aspergers.

What worked for my son? Well, first setting up clear schedules and expectations and posting them where he could refer to them at any time. Each schedule isn't too overloaded so he can add to it if he would like.

Next I cleared the kids rooms of everything but the bed, dressure and tv. If he wants any kind of electronic device (Wii, Nintendo, Playstation, Nintendo DS, computer, music, etc) then he has to earn Behavior Bucks. Each behavior is clearly identified on a poster - which looks like a large checkbook register. Throughout the day as he gets through chores, homework, etc, then he adds certain bucks for each behavior - bad behaviors are also listed and go in the debt column. For each device (also listed with its price) he can use his 'bucks' to RENT his electronic for 24 hours. If he wants to extend the length of rental then he has to use more bucks. If he does any negative behaviors (like fighting with his brother) then the equipment is taken away, and he loses the 'bucks'.

This helps us, but it can also be adjusted for different ages and expectations. My whole goal as a mom and homeschooler is to give the kids a love of learning AND understand how to go about finding an retaining information.

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 9:35 AM

There are some great insights and tips in this post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)