Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overwhelmed.... Advice needed

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello Ladies,

This is my 1st year homeschooling.... I'm having a great time homeschooling my oldest because his learning style is the same as mine.  The one I'm struggling with is my 7 year old.

He is currently in 2nd grade and I'm having such a difficult time with him in every subject.  He doesn't pay attention and when asked a simple addition problem he spends minutes on it.  He's improved in reading because when I started homeschooling him he couldn't read at all.  I guess my frustration with him is mostly in math and other subjects such as science and history.  He doesn't pay at all when it comes to those subjects and when asked a question about what you just explained or read, he cracks jokes and uses his imagination and says something like "Imagine if we could have jetpacks and fly."  

Hubby isn't much help in this area as he doesn't speak English and is currently working nights so he sleeps all day.. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ladies because I am seriously running out of patience.

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
songbird2716
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM
Have you tried letting him choose the topics you cover?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 25, 2011 at 4:38 PM

what kind of learner is he? visual?auditory? hands on? maybe letting him read the pages, or taking turns, and for math letting him write the problem on the board or on a piece of paper

here an explanation of 3 learning styles, and what helps them learn, might help! http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/search/label/learning%20styles

Jozzie
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Thanks!!! According to this he's a kinetic learner... this explains a lot because when he uses manipulatives for math he does mucho better ... thanks so much!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Now that you know this you can find teaching tools & curriculum that is geared toward that kind of learning.

Quoting Jozzie:

Thanks!!! According to this he's a kinetic learner... this explains a lot because when he uses manipulatives for math he does mucho better ... thanks so much!!!!!

jhg374
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM

With him being a hands on learner I would suggest doing math on a big blackboard or whiteboard. Gets his body moving in conjunction with his mind. Also you could do things like using rice or pudding where he can write with his fingers the problems and the answers.

The wonderful thing is that now that you know HOW he learns the best your imagination is the limit! Have FUN! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)