Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Schools in America Are Terrible post in Newcomer's

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

Anyone checking out this post?

by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
utkallie
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM
What is the link?
oredeb
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM

just starting to read it now, what do you think of it?

utkallie
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I do think a lot of parents put too much responsibiltiy on the teacher. I can't imagine a parent not wanting to be overly involved in their child's education but there a lot of people out there who are content to send their kids off to school and let someone else deal with it. The teachers spend so much time helping the kids who aren't getting help elsewhere, that the other students are cheated. I have two kids with special needs. I can't risk them being overlooked in public school system.

nzumbrun
by Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:49 PM
I saw it then clicked on it and lost it. I haven't read it yet,I'm going to but America does have the worst schools. When the parents lost control of our schools...no I'm sorry gave up control then our children lost out. It's sad really. Now let me go read the article!! Lol
nzumbrun
by Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok so I read it then got pissed off. I decided to share what I posted. I probably really pissed off a lot of people. OOPS!!! lol

I agree with you however at the age of 3 we are told our children need to go into someone else's care because we are not capable of teaching our children. Yes more parents need to be involved but when we have to work 2 or 3 jobs per parent its pretty damn hard to have any time to do anything. We are told to turn our kids over to total strangers for at least 8 hours a day. Then its homework (some from every teacher) dinner then bed. Now they are talking about increasing that 8 hours!! I'm sorry I did not have my beautiful children including one that I almost died to bring into the world just to hand them over to the government. If you want us to raise our children then don't Bitch when we do. Do call us freaks weird or that we are ruining our kids. They are OURS!!! They were given to us by god to raise and love. We need to finally get mad enough to tell the government to leave us alone!!!

Just my opinion
Danielle163
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I just got back over here--Had to get school done, fix supper, clean up mess and read all of the posts. I agree with her that parents need to be involved with their children's learning (LOL, thats pretty apparent, I homeschool) and I'm sure that there are some parents out there that don't care about anything pertaining to their children's education. Her & I had a conversation in another post regarding hs, which she was against. She's into the test big time. Its like I told her though (in the first post) we could agree to disagree, that we wouldn't see eye to eye on public school as I had lost all faith in it. That didn't sit well with her--LOL

What do I think about it? She kind of seems like the teacher police (LOL) to me. I don't believe that ALL teachers do everything that they can to be good teachers, but you will have that sometimes, there are good and bad ps teachers. Do I think that bullying would stop if parents took an active role (her statement)? Bashing schools seems to be a big past time (h. s)....schools across America are failing students in so many ways, academically along with allowing bullying. I took an active role trying to deal with it and .....nothing was done. She said she's in a good district and thats great for her kids, hopefully for her she will never have to deal with  bullying problems or she might have a rather rude awakening.............

Interesting to check out someone else's opinion on ps, even if I don't agree with it..............

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM

From what I really got out of the post is that the original poster has a very abrasive personality and likes to start ...highly debatable topics for the "thrill"....I'll put it that way...

Aside from that, I do agree that parents need to play an active roll in their child's education.  My daughter who is my first refused to learn from me though. I don't think she learned her ABCs until she was about 4 despite many long hours and efforts throughout the day every day on my part. She started school and loved it and learned very very quickly. I still went out of my way to help the learning along at home the best I could. When we moved is where we had the problem. The school refused to tell us what they were working on, never sent home anything that would help the parent help the student at home. I never knew how to help with math (which was just simple addition) because they wanted it done a certain way and I had NEVER seen it done that way before. She ended up getting pulled from that school for a multitude of reasons, but a good chunk of it was because they weren't teaching her anything new, and weren't allowing me to help in anyway to keep her intrest in school alive and she ended up not being able to read or do basic addition or subtraction. We spent the whole second semester of first grade re-learning phonics, reading, and adding and reintroduced subtraction.
Some schools just don't want the "help" of the parents because than the parents "interfere" with their set up....at least thats the speal I ended up getting from the witch of a lady in charge of the homeschool dept. at the board of education (who I'm almost 99% certain doesn't believe in homeschooling at this point...) I should also point out that my daughter was apparently sent to a low income school - however that should not excuse the lack of parental involvement....
(if I'm rambling I appologize, I'm a bit tired and I think my cold meds are finally starting to kick in)

Danielle163
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Quoting No_Difference:

From what I really got out of the post is that the original poster has a very abrasive personality and likes to start ...highly debatable topics for the "thrill"....I'll put it that way...

Aside from that, I do agree that parents need to play an active roll in their child's education.  My daughter who is my first refused to learn from me though. I don't think she learned her ABCs until she was about 4 despite many long hours and efforts throughout the day every day on my part. She started school and loved it and learned very very quickly. I still went out of my way to help the learning along at home the best I could. When we moved is where we had the problem. The school refused to tell us what they were working on, never sent home anything that would help the parent help the student at home. I never knew how to help with math (which was just simple addition) because they wanted it done a certain way and I had NEVER seen it done that way before. She ended up getting pulled from that school for a multitude of reasons, but a good chunk of it was because they weren't teaching her anything new, and weren't allowing me to help in anyway to keep her intrest in school alive and she ended up not being able to read or do basic addition or subtraction. We spent the whole second semester of first grade re-learning phonics, reading, and adding and reintroduced subtraction.
Some schools just don't want the "help" of the parents because than the parents "interfere" with their set up....at least thats the speal I ended up getting from the witch of a lady in charge of the homeschool dept. at the board of education (who I'm almost 99% certain doesn't believe in homeschooling at this point...) I should also point out that my daughter was apparently sent to a low income school - however that should not excuse the lack of parental involvement....
(if I'm rambling I appologize, I'm a bit tired and I think my cold meds are finally starting to kick in)

Yeah, I have to agree with you about that the OP has an abrasive personality (!).....she started the post right after her & I got done (or I was done replying to her--LOL. Oh well..............thats cool......whatever............

misselphaba
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I think that:

A) parents don't have *time* to take an active role in their kids ~ when they are in daycare, or school and then after school care, and the parents are working, they all get home, do homework, have dinner, and then it's bedtime. 

B) people are always telling people that parents can't teach, you need a teaching degree to teach, blah, blah, blah...well, at some point, that really sunk in to people and so now they leave it up to the people who have teaching degrees...you can't have it both ways.  You can't say "parents can't teach" and then bitch when they don't.

C) people put their kids in daycare at 6 weeks and basically hand that stuff over to someone else.  I really don't think a majority of people know *how* to play in a teaching manner with their kids. 

D) people are so used to putting the responsibility of their kids onto someone else that it's just second nature for them to put their ENTIRE education on someone else's shoulders. 

and E) "no child left behind" made it so that we left them ALL behind. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)