Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cool science field trip.... by accident

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 11:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
Today my tween got to go with his nana to her cardiology appointment. The tech who did her Echo used to be a science teacher. So apparently he and my son were having a grand time checkin out my moms heart and other organs! Glad Nana is such a great sport. He came home talking all excitedly about getting to see it. He is 11 mind you. He rarely gets excited. Irk why but that made my recent decision to homeschool him feel so much better. I guess I was afraid he wouldn't really learn anything. Ever happened to any of you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
wright1212
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Not with someone else teaching-just hasnt happened. HOWEVER did have that spur of moment science. Yesterday we went to a farm/corn maze/pumpkin farm. On the hay ride out to get pumpkins we drove by a cow that had just given birth to twins. One was dead, the placenta still hanging out of her. Then she ate the placenta!!! Talk about mind blowing to all of us. My DD learned alot, but thankfully not to many questions I wasnt ready to answer.

bmw29
by Member on Oct. 26, 2011 at 9:09 AM
That is awesome!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Isn't it so wonderful when the kids find grown ups who are willing to talk to them like they are people? 

It seems to happen a lot.  My son went to the eye doctor and the eye doctor LOVED him asking questions and went really in depth with what she was doing and why and told him about the eyeball and all this stuff.  She's a great lady!

Our dentist is like that too.  Always happy to chat about teeth and the mouth and the muscles of the face with the kids. 

They are ALWAYS talking to the fish people at the pet store.  And generally, the workers there are really knowledgable and happy to talk to them. 

The guy who does the maintenance on our property taught them how to put up a fence.  LOL

We had a cable guy outside running cable and while he was taking a little break, the kids went up to him and asked him what he was doing, so he explained a little bit. 

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM

so neat dig!!!! hahaha i love that when it happens!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Aw, poor calf! Good lesson, though.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Spur of the moment learning I think is the best kind of learning there is.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM
Isn't that awesome? They are learning things that will actually help them in life :)

Quoting misselphaba:

Isn't it so wonderful when the kids find grown ups who are willing to talk to them like they are people? 

It seems to happen a lot.  My son went to the eye doctor and the eye doctor LOVED him asking questions and went really in depth with what she was doing and why and told him about the eyeball and all this stuff.  She's a great lady!

Our dentist is like that too.  Always happy to chat about teeth and the mouth and the muscles of the face with the kids. 

They are ALWAYS talking to the fish people at the pet store.  And generally, the workers there are really knowledgable and happy to talk to them. 

The guy who does the maintenance on our property taught them how to put up a fence.  LOL

We had a cable guy outside running cable and while he was taking a little break, the kids went up to him and asked him what he was doing, so he explained a little bit. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Yeah, it is awesome!  Sucks when you get an adult that's nervous around kids who actually want to talk.  LOL 

My kids aren't picky, either.  They are all about "what are you doing?" when we are out.  I don't let them ask when you can tell the person is really involved or just not in the mood.  Most of the time, though, people are nice and will answer.  They ask stockers at the grocery store, tellers at the bank, whoever. 

Too bad they don't socialize, though!  LOL

Quoting Boobah:

Isn't that awesome? They are learning things that will actually help them in life :)

Quoting misselphaba:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM

We havent had that in a while, but it does happen. I find it fascinating the things kids pick up that they wouldnt if they were in a clssroom all day instead of out experiencing things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)