Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reflections A- 10/26

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM
  • 3 Replies

Each day I will post several Reflections. I journal in a notebook each day, as a mom and as a homeschooler. I often start a journal entry with a question as a means of getting inspiration and provoking thought.

So I thought it would be great to start doing so in this group - where we can all share in the thought process and share our own experiences.

Do you use a system of education that is based on testing and evaluation? What are your thoughts on your system - does it seem to be 'doing the job' for you and your family?

Shannon

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM

We do not use testing nor evaluation. I guess a lot of my process is similar to the CM. I have the kids do a lot of narration - most of it oral - so I can judge their level of understanding of a topic or subject. This allows me to know if we need to change our method or get into it more indepth, or if the kids are ready to move on.

It works for us - but it is challenging when others ask for clarification or designation. My oldest has Aspergers so we have a lot of doctors who think along modern educational lines - (gpa, testing, etc) - so it can be challenging to explain how I teach. I don't see myself as a teacher really, but a facilitator -- I try to open the way for the kids to explore knowledge, and I try to feed their curiosity, even as I give guidance.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM

My daughter is tested at the end of every school year and so will my son when he proves old enough to do it, also. Ohio requires a test or a portfolio and I think testing is the easier of the two. I don't mind the idea of tests and may use them in later grades but right now, in our day to day, we don't use them.

oredeb
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Do you use a system of education that is based on testing and evaluation?

no , no testing, dont need to, i know what they know! thats why i homeschool them!! we always did a lot of unit studies, based on what they wanted to learn about, we didnt follow the homeschool law and test every other year or every year(they changed it at some point) we just schooled in our own way.

What are your thoughts on your system - does it seem to be 'doing the job' for you and your family?

it worked good for us, they are healthy, working, happy adults with good jobs and even homes!hahaha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)