Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to Homeschooling and need some help

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have decided to homeschool my kids 4 and 5.  I am tired of Kyle being bullied at school and getting the tar beat out of him on the bus. 

My question is this what are the best web sites for getting the information to use our time as wisely as possible?  I know that kids learn best through play....I am not a playful person I don't think.  Can anyone help me?

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RealWorldSchool
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Check out lots of resources at your local library on homeschooling and learning styles. Identifying your children's learning styles as well as your own will help your decide how and where to spend your time, money, etc.

Make sure you also research your state's requirements for homeschooling so you don't have any issues there. There may be local homeschooling groups where you can connect with other moms and maybe even co-op with them. Maybe they do the 'play stuff' and you do more 'serious' lessons with all the kids. 

You have the world open to you and at a great time while your kids are young! =)

100 Top Picks for Homeschooling Curriculum gives some great ideas and introduces you to different typical philosophies of homeschooling. 

A fun website for the kids & you is Brainpop. Has things on all different subjects!

Hope some of that helps! =) Good luck & have fun! ( And remember there is no such thing as doing it 'right' or 'wrong'...you try and see what works for you...if it doesn't , then move on to something else!)

nazmom2be
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Thank you I will give it all a shot, whats the worst that can happen?  I might learn something along the way?  LOL 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

It's terrible that 4 and 5 year olds have to deal with that! I would check out the workbox system and how people have modified it. (I use a smaller number of boxes and tabs) It's very efficient, though you add whatever curriculum you pick to it.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Congratulations on your decision.  I have been on this home educating journey for 19 yrs so far and still love it :)    Here are some good books to read.

The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook  by Raymond and Dorothy Moore

Educating the Whole Hearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson

As far as children as young as yours just as you said "play".   :)   Coloring, doing puzzles, educational type games and reading to them does so much.

oredeb
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM

hi nazmom, you could teach them nursery rhymes, doing little dances with them as they learn them, when the kids are hanging out just tell them colors of things around them, count out m and ms together, adding learning to things you do all day, sit and read with them, play ball with them, refrigerator letter or number magnets are fun, letting them paint on big pieces of paper with fingers or paint brushes, you can show them how to make a letter or number casually! maybe they'd like to do some baking? my kids loved to knead dough on the table, any arts and craft stuff, gets some scissors and let them practice cutting! etc

clowncar
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Get the book 'what your kindergartner needs to know'. Indispensible. Read lots of stories. Leave time for open ended play but also organize learning play, like playing store or post office, etc. Utilize the library. Get books based on each kids' particular interests. At this age its so important to take advantage if their innate desire to learn and discover the world around them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN