Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reflections A - 10/27

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM
  • 4 Replies

Charlotte Mason once said, "We are educated by out intimacies." What does this mean to you?

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM
I think that means we fnd a love for life outside of our homes etc. A love for learning things new that we experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 27, 2011 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Intimacies to me are several things - those people closest to us (family & friends) and the things we see and interact with day in and day out. If that happens to be a tv or video games, then the things you learn will be in the creative worlds created by the designers/actors.

If instead you open lines of communication and teach your children to see possibilities, then they will be inspired to ask questions of their friends and family - where they have been in their lives, what they have learned.

This isn't to say I believe technology to be bad - my kids have all the trappings of this era - sure they have to earn behavior bucks to rent them from me for 24 hours, but I hope that dipping toes in the tech world will inspire them to create their own (my 10 y/o has taken it upon himself to learn how to make his own webpage this semester).

Conversely, I think this statement means we learn the most in our life from those closest to us - if family is missing from the bigger part of the picture, then friends will fill the void. So I feel this statement is a bit of a warning - be aware of where your childs intimacies lay or you might be surprised at what they are picking up...

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I think it means you learn the most from your enviroment and experiences.

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM

to me it means I  learn by all the things that are my  favorite  around me! things that we enjoy being around, seeing, doing, familiar, interested in, people close to us,  places thats how i learn anyway!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)