Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reflections A - 10/28

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:29 AM
  • 4 Replies

Do you believe one needs to teach "Art Appreciation" or does one either appreciate art or they don't?

Do you believe having a solid Art history and Music corner of curriculum is important, or do you think it shouldn't be that of a home (or public) education's curriculum?

Do you think you have to be musical or artistic to teach these subjects?

by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:34 AM

I personally think art and music is important. They are ways of expressing ones self. I also think learning Art History and music are important parts of learning about history of people - art often shows better than a book, what beliefs were. Just look at the dark ages - much of the art of that time is very dark and spooky and the subject matter is often filled with demons or human suffering - which sheds a lot of light into the psyche of people during that era.

I personally love music - and believe it open pathways in the mind that will help with doing complex calculations.

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

oredeb
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM

again i think it depends on the child, we did the art appreciation, history etc, my oldest dd really loved it!  she'd do painting/drawings etc,  an enter them in any contests, my mom helped (shes an artist) but the others weren't that interested in art, they still aren't. but they sure know who did what painting and have an opinion of a painting!!hahaha

now music, i think every child should learn an instrument, even if they are not musicaly inclinded! and i know you dont need to have a music curr. to learn about it, all my kids can play at least 2 or more insturments, they can read music, write it(some more so than others) sing(again some more than others)

i'm not musical, i taught them how to read music,(i was forced to learn in grade school, you never know when it will come in handy!) and some of the elderly people in our church taught them how to play instruments,  and let them use the instruments, theory, they learned the scales on the piano first(5 min. at a time) and then they'd add another instrument on, they've made a few cds, learning music has also helped them learn the other end of music, how to record, lay down a track, how to mix, their dad taught them the history of music,

oldest dd does the mixing for the church on sundays or any time the band plays

2nd dd married a man that has a band and is able to play with them and write her songs!haha

3rd and 4th kids, they still play their instruments

no i dont think you need to be musical or artistic to teach these subjects, i certainly not!!

hoofbeats
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I think art and music are a great way to teach.You can start with a certain type of painting or music, what time period,where did it take place,who else is in that time...theres a lot of subjects that can be covered, all by researching a painting/sculpture/composition/play/song, what have you.

You don't have to be an expert on the subject.Learn with your child.

You can't make some one appreciate art.

If it's something that interests you or your child find a way to explore it. It should not be mandatory.

missg8
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM

good question?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN