Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High School Lit?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM
  • 4 Replies
My 9th grade daughter is using BJU Lit this year, and hates it! She loves to read, but she prefers to read whole books. Lit curriculums are full of book excerpts. I'm thinking about just letting her read books to fulfill her lit requirements. Has anyone done this? How do you do it? Do you assign book reports, or buy study guides for the books? thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way :)

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 10 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM

My dd is in Honors English in 9th grade public school. She spent the first quarter reading and analyzing short stories and doing grammar and vocabulary (roots, etymology).

This quarter, they'll read the entire novel of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

They'll read The Odyssey the 3rd quarter and being writing their persuasive paper, and continue with Romeo and Juliet in 4th quarter, finish literature with a poetry unit, and finish their paper.

If you're not familiar with the books she reads, try the ClifNotes version for yourself! She can read them after she's finished the book. They're useful study guides and can provide a good place for you to judge a book report.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I have never used literature books.  I have a looong list of books that I assign to be read in the high school years.  I try to get a good mixture of literature.   I do have study guides for a few but most they just read the books.

oredeb
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM

hi carol, with some of my kids i just let them read full books, they would have to narrate them back to me or there dad or another family member, i didnt do book reports or study guides, they enjoyed reading so had no need. now my son who didnt care for reading i had him do short stories, i had a variety of short stories available, and i picked the ones he had to read, he also had to narrate them back to me.  its funny but my sons wife told me he loves to sit outside in the evenings and read a good western!hahahahah i was so surprized, of course when hes not hunting or working on someones truck!hahahahaha

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I like book reports and study guides because they often provide a framework for some more advanced literary concepts like the use of metaphor or symbolism or a specific structure that the author used. That's stuff you don't usually pick up by just reading and talking about it unless you already know to look for those things. This is the part of school where you teach them how to find those deeper elements in literature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)