Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reflections B - 10/28

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM
  • 4 Replies

Do you believe journaling is an important part of your childs educational experience? What benefits do you see in encouraging your child to keep a joural. What do you recommend your child write about in their journal.

by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I personally believe journaling is very important. For one it helps a child shape their thoughts into coherent sentences, like a free writing process.

In our house the kids have multiple journals - one is their free writing journal, where they can write about their life, what they have been doing, or answer a starter question. Then they have their science journal - where they keep track of experiments and hypothesis. They also have nature journals, where they can draw or write about things they have observed in nature.

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM

We've tried Journals, but Missie isn't overly interested in wrting a lot, yet. I hope that maybe I can encourage it as the year goes on.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Quoting mem82:

We've tried Journals, but Missie isn't overly interested in wrting a lot, yet. I hope that maybe I can encourage it as the year goes on.

When my oldest was a little bit younger he would get frustrated with writing - he was way more advanced intellectually than he was motor control wise - so I started a private blog for him. He had lots of fun journaling on the computer - it helped with grammar and spelling and he had all the benefits of journaling, but resisted the frustration of not being able to explain his thoughts on paper with his writing difficulties.

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

oredeb
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

its great for some kids, and some its not, a couple of mine really enjoyed it, my son liked doing our science journal, but the others never could hook up with it. the 2nd dd is still doing it, she likes the idea cuz whe got to read her great grandmas journals when she died, so shes gona continue on!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN