Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel 'connected' to other moms?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feel like you mesh well within your peer group? 8) What about your kids? Do they do well with other HS kids.

by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM
Replies (11-18):
Diggems0312
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 6:40 AM
I had kids so young that I've never felt like I fit in. I was 19 when I had my now 11 yr old. Now I seem to be ok with the group of women in my church. It's a new, still small one and we have a wide range or ages from 20 to 50s. I had to push myself out of my bubble to "make friends" lol. Ds1 is like me but still meshes faster. Ds2 and dd don't know a stranger... even with other adults lol.
JeniferJuniper
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I get along with most other homeschooler Moms I just have low tolerance to social and commitment situations. Such as our group meets every Friday and to tell you the truth Id rather go shopping than meet with them!

My sweet ds who is 11 gets along with almost everyone and makes friends easily but we tend to enjoy  other activities and feel tied down if we have to do something every week which I think is one of the reasons why homeschooling just works best for us!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Boy, do I agree with the feeling tied down with weekly classes. We do exactly ine weekly class and the scouts.  I've always felt vaguely weird that4/5 hours a week seems like such a burden to me. LOL

Quoting JeniferJuniper:

I get along with most other homeschooler Moms I just have low tolerance to social and commitment situations. Such as our group meets every Friday and to tell you the truth Id rather go shopping than meet with them!

My sweet ds who is 11 gets along with almost everyone and makes friends easily but we tend to enjoy  other activities and feel tied down if we have to do something every week which I think is one of the reasons why homeschooling just works best for us!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I feel you on this one!

Quoting oahoah:

My kids pretty much mesh with anyone, young kids or adults, but I've always had a hard time fitting in.  I'm glad to see that they don't carry the same "gene" defect! We do socialize within our homeschool group but not too often.  I get so excited meeting a new group or family and then they say something that just makes me go "ugh" inside. A lot of it is just being too "extreme" or radical, some criticizing one way of homeschooling or child-rearing, etc;.   But I force myself to be social for my kiddos' sakes! I tend to keep my opinions to myself most of the time (unless specifically asked) and kind of wish others would do the same sometimes!

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM

That's me, too.

Quoting JulieBrown:

This sounds exactly like me.  My kids do great, but I am a bit of a loner.

Quoting oredeb:

yes, my kids mesh with anyone!

me, well im more of a loner, tend to do my own thing, but i'd say i mostly mesh!hhahahahaha

EaiB
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I have a hard time. Many in my area homeschooling are very religious or are doing it for different reasons, and most are very dead-set in opinions, and I'm not much that way. Our children all get along very fine, b/c they are children and don't have philosophical discussions other than what to play next. All lovely people, I just don't feel connected much...

Gumberly
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:45 PM
I haven't had much success finding any local homeschooling groups. The one homeschool park day we went to was a train wreck for me, the moms where a bunch of snobs and treated me like I didn't belong (which clearly I didn't because I am not going to drive 45 minutes to be treated like crap).
I tend to be shy and it takes me a while to get comfortable in large groups. My DD is much the same way but my two boys are mister socials and chat up everyone like they have known them for years, I blaim their dad lol.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I had that happen to me & my kids once, we never went back to that group!

Quoting Gumberly:

I haven't had much success finding any local homeschooling groups. The one homeschool park day we went to was a train wreck for me, the moms where a bunch of snobs and treated me like I didn't belong (which clearly I didn't because I am not going to drive 45 minutes to be treated like crap).
I tend to be shy and it takes me a while to get comfortable in large groups. My DD is much the same way but my two boys are mister socials and chat up everyone like they have known them for years, I blaim their dad lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)