Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extreme Couponing, this weeks process

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've been posting every so often about extreme couponing - this means utilizing coupons to get at least 90% off. I've suggested before getting a good stock in your pantry/freezer by using coupons for a few months to stock up - basically what I mean by this is shop as you normally would, but add a bit more food than you would normally buy (using coupons so you get an average of 65% off). Once you have a stocked pantry you can stop shopping as you have always done, and start focusing on extreme couponing.

I did a major pantry stock-up last week and did extreme couponing for freezer this week. I got about $200 in groceries for about $35 out of pocket.

Last Sunday I got my 1 local paper for the sales flyers and 1 copy of the insert coupons. I cut out the coupons and filed them, so I could have an idea of what was being offered. Then I made a list of the in-store coupons offered in the store flyers - especially Kmart and Price Chopper. (you can double up these store coupons with manufacturer coupons - MFC's -  for the same item!). Sunday afternoon the kids and I went for a walk through the isles of Price Chopper which seemed to have the most sales from the flyer (as apposed to the many other grocery stores in my area). But clearance items usually aren't in the flyer as the sale only lasts as long as the supply lasts, so we walked the store with my handy-dandy notebook and I wrote down every sale we found.

Once I had my comparative lists (store sales, store coupons, MFC's) I had an idea of what coupons I had to go searching for. On Monday morning I could go to my neighborhood convenience store where I have a deal with the owner - I get to pick up all their left over papers for the price of one. If I needed any further coupons then I would use on the online coupon clipping services to order more.

Kmart had a coupon for Bar-S Hotdogs that made the hot dogs $0.88 per package. I had MFC's for Bar-S hotdogs at $0.55 per package (this doubled to $1.10) So I was able to pick up 10 packages of the hot dogs FOR FREE. And our local kmart will apply the surplus savings (the additional $.10 from each package of hot dog) to shredded cheese which was on clearance sale of 3/$4 - so I got 6 packages for only $7.

Then I went over to CVS which had Albacore Tuna on sale for $.77 each and i had a coupon for $1/3 - so I got 9 cans for $3.93, I also got 2 bottles of Dawn which was on clearance for $1/bottle and I had 2 coupons for $1 each off so I got them for FREE.

Then I went to Price Chopper. I had 4 MFC's for Millstone coffee that were $2 off each, and Price Chopper had 4 boxes of k-cups that were on clearance for $4.20 = that means I got each box of k-cups, normally $8.99 for $2.20 each! They also had boxes of popcorn shrimp on sale for $4.50 and I had MFC's for $5 each, so they were FREE and had a surplus of $.50 each! (so I got 4). Domino Sugar, 5 lb bags were on sale for $3.29 and the store had instore coupons for $1 off, AND I had MFC's for $0.55 (which doubled to $1.10) this meant I got them for $1.19 each so I got 4. I had MFC's for Dr. Pepper 10 2 liter bottles (free) so I got 4 for my DH (poor kids, I don't let them have soda..lol). I had BOGO MFC's for Suave Professional Shampoo, which was on clearance for $1.20 so I got 4 bottles for $2.40, and the same was true for some of the Axe body wash. Tyson chicken strips were on sale for $4.99 and I had $.77 coupon which was doubled to $1.54 so I got a bag for $3.45. (I only had 1 coupon though that was about to expire, wish I had been able to find more!) I also got 4 bottles of TruMoo milk for $1 each. etc.

So you can see how I was able to do it. I found the sale, then found any store coupons, then found MFC's to match.  You can see that not all my coupons were doubles - many of the ones I used this week were more than $.99 so they wouldn't be doubled. So it is possible to get extreme savings - it just takes a bit of work. Since my pantry was stocked I didn't HAVE to buy anything, so I could be as picky as I wanted - choosing only those that had the best savings!

:) Shannon

by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM

wow shannon thats so amazin! you make it sound understandable for my small mind! thanks'

ive been saving coupons of the items i will use when i find them!

missg8
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM

the going through the store first seems to be rather crucial...also your deal with the store owner did you know him before?

smarie1011
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Where did you get your coupon for popcorn shrimp :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Quoting missg8:

the going through the store first seems to be rather crucial...also your deal with the store owner did you know him before?

Nope, I just asked him one Sunday what he did with the extra's. I have heard of extreme couponers who hang out by the dumpster at midnight to get the papers that would be thrown out; but I've also heard of some deals people have to pick up extra papers by only paying the tax on each. So I thought, what the heck, I might as well ask! He said I could come by on Monday night and get whatever was left for the price of one.

And yes - I can't stress enough the importance of walking the store Before planning your trip.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Quoting smarie1011:

Where did you get your coupon for popcorn shrimp :)

Sunday papers. It's where I get 99% of my coupons.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Great job!

missg8
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Thanks for the info. Ok but what if a walk through is not possible whats the second best step. :O]

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting missg8:

Nope, I just asked him one Sunday what he did with the extra's. I have heard of extreme couponers who hang out by the dumpster at midnight to get the papers that would be thrown out; but I've also heard of some deals people have to pick up extra papers by only paying the tax on each. So I thought, what the heck, I might as well ask! He said I could come by on Monday night and get whatever was left for the price of one.

And yes - I can't stress enough the importance of walking the store Before planning your trip.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting missg8:

Thanks for the info. Ok but what if a walk through is not possible whats the second best step. :O]

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting missg8:

If a walk through is impossible then be prepared to take a long time at the store. Here's how I would (and have in the past) done it:

1. Make sure I get at least 5 Sunday circulars each week (as I won't be able to plan ahead for specific things I have to have multiples of each just in case).

2. Be anal in organization. Keep an organized file of all your coupons so they are easy to see and grab. Also keep an itemized list of every coupon so you aren't walking through the store thinking "I think I have coupons for that"

3. Organize/Plan as much as possible from the sales flyer + in store coupons. (as usual)

4. While at the store, bring ALL your coupons and lists AND calculator. If you see a clearance sale, calculate what the total would be after any coupons (what you would otherwise do at home if you had done the walk-through). If the sale would be good enough, add it to the cart.

I always put the coupons I will be using in an envelope, whereas all the rest of my coupons are organized in a 3-ring binder (which would normally be used to organize stickers for scrapbooking). So if I came upon a great clearance, I'd move the coupons from my book into my envelope.

So just be prepared to take the time walking through each isle perusing your lists against any unexpected sales. I have a vascular disease and am physically handicapped, which results in a lot of chronic pain when walking long distances. So if I'm having a bad week, I'll have to cut back on the walking and do my shopping/walking all in one go.

Hope that helps!

Shannon

beluvdwife
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 10:09 PM

LOVE THIS, thanks!

annakairi
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:51 AM

That is absolutely amazing! Thanks for the helpful tips :). A lot of them I can't use just yet though :(. For example the closest grocery store to me (and I don't have a vehicle so most of the time I'm walking or taking the bus) never doubles coupons. They also recently made a rule that you can no longer stack manufacturer coupons with store coupons you have to choose one or the other.

I pretty much decided to live with it until reading your post and seeing just how much you saved. I think its worth it for me to do a little research and find another store I can get to by bus. I know theres a few that I should be able to get to without too much inconvenience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)