Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Extreme Couponing Tips - Freezing/organization

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 6:21 PM
  • 1 Replies

ok keeping your freezer organized is difficult for everyone whether they extreme coupon, buy in bulk, or shop regularly. There are certain things everyone should know about freezing foods in order to keep the foods from going bad - and so you know what you have.

Stock Room Item list and a Deep Freezer Item list -

Basically it's a list of all the foods in the freezer/stock room when we take one out then we change the number on the list. This lets me know if we are going to be running low on anything - plus if I am wondering what to make for dinner I can peruse the list rather than staring into my freezer in confusion..lol....

Saving Space -

I take things out of their packaging before freezing. Meat is wrapped in plastic wrap then placed in a freezer bag (with as much air squeezed out as possible). It's always best to make sure you freeze them in small groups - so for chicken breasts I put 2 to a package. Before freezing I write in permanent marker the date of purchase.  I make sure I freeze them lying flat.

I always place frozen veggies in a freezer bag - this is because I don't always use the same amount, so having it in a ziplock freezer bag allows me to put some back without the extra step - I usually do about 2-3 cups per bag. And a bag is easier to lay it flat.

Then I organize it like my pantry - in groupings. I have a hanging basket in my deep freezer that is for cheeses, another is for veggies. The bottom of the freezer is for pizza's and large things like that, one the side of a divider are the meats. I also always freeze bread, so I'll make sure there is enough room to lay the bread on top while it freezes, so it won't be all squished up.

Hope that helps!

by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Homeschoolmom99
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I do this I treat it like a restaurant! Growing up in that industry I am very fugal when it comes to food shopping! My roommates drive me batty they buy soda pop like 5-6 12 packs a week and wonder why they are broke! Plus they smoke

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN