Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sigh. The public schools here...ugh...

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

So my son went "to" school from 1-4 grades. He plays sports with the ps kids...played all of them until they went to school sports in 7th grade..(he's in 8th now) so he's still very connected to those kids... I always let him to to the Fri night football games...dances...pep rallies...whatever he wants to do, coz I know he loves hanging with those kids as well as his homeschool friends...

My husband volunteers to coach the 1st and 2nd grade football teams here...and he broadcasts the highschool football games....so when he's coaching the littles, my son goes with him, goes to the 8th grade games and sees his friends...no big deal.

OK...so...Thursday...I take him to the pep rally at the school. He's sitting with his friends, I'm sitting 5 feet from him with my friends...and all of a sudden one of my friends said "OMG...they're taking him out!" Lo and behold, yes they were. They kicked him out of an "open to the community" pep rally.

Why? Let me tell ya. I think his long hair has something to do with it...BUT...when they kicked him out, he was holding his hands up making a "heart" with his hands...to one of his BFF's who is a cheerleader.

So they tell me that they saw him do this and thought he was flashing gang signs. REALLY???!!! Heart gang signs??? Because in our town of 2000 people, we have a lot of gangsters? 13 year old gangsters? 13 year old homeschool gangsters????

So as they have their fingers in his face yelling at him about who he is and why he's there (one teacher and the principal....they DO NOT know him...but every kid and parent there did...it's a tiny town...and we're very involved here)...they also accuse him of jumping the fence to get into football games for free. (No, he does not)...

When I walked over, they immediately got nicer....I was flaming mad. Came home, told my DH, who immediately called the principal...and said there are two visiting rules...1. Don't disrupt class. (he didn't) and 2. Sign in. (He couldn't. There's no sign ins when the whole town comes!) so WTH????

That's when they said it was because they thought he was flashing gang signals.

I swear, the school keeps doing stuff like this to him...he's been kicked out of a dance, now a pep rally, he can't participate in fund raisers for the trip he's going on with the 8th graders...WHYYYYY is there so much discrimination against homeschoolers????

And I swear, if one of those freaking school people ever utters the "socialization" crap to me...after not LETTING him see his friends...I may poke their eyes out...LOL

by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nazmom2be
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Why are you keeping him away from his friends he will become anti social Just kidding.
Idk why people do that stuff. They hype up being in school, and tell us they have to go to school. Most of the kids hate their teachers and visa versa. When you find the answers please share with us. GL....oh and is there anything you can do about them yelling @ your son? Verbal abuse or something?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM

That's so stupid! Heart gang signs *snicker* He be stealing the ladies, hearts, yo! sorry LOL

Once my daughter in K (she went PS K and 1st) wore an orange shirt with a pumpkin smile face on it on Halloween. She got in trouble because it broke the dress code of no pictures on clothing.

peanut06
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Back when I was in high school (if that doesn't make me sound out at almost 28 LOL), they started making everyone where school-issued name badges on those break-away lanyards.  Our mascot was the Pirates, so we were forced to wear something with a sword and gun, but could not wear apparel with violent symbols LOL

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 30, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I hate to say it but that is why I just opt to not do things that are public school related , but i am lucky we live in a place that has a huge homeschool community & the homeschoolers have their own sports teams for all the sports that you can play in public school.

FlyHippie
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I hate to say it but that is why I just opt to not do things that are public school related , but i am lucky we live in a place that has a huge homeschool community & the homeschoolers have their own sports teams for all the sports that you can play in public school.

I'd actually be totally FINE not having anything to do with them, but my son has been friends with these kids for YEARS...they're all friends, we're friends with the parents...it's just the school people that suck! LOL!

We have a homeschool sports assoc. here, too...but we don't participate due to having to sign a statement of faith to play, and DS would have to cut his hair....no biggie. He plays club/competitive baseball... and rec basketball...all good. (basketball through a community center kinda thing)...so we don't do any kind of "school" related sports now.

But, to me, if he wants to do extra stuff...he should be allowed to. Especially a pep rally that the whole community is encouraged to attend. And if he's not allowed, make a rule about it. Don't just pick him out of the crowd and treat him like he's a criminal. He's not.

FlyHippie
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Quoting mem82:

That's so stupid! Heart gang signs *snicker* He be stealing the ladies, hearts, yo! sorry LOL

Once my daughter in K (she went PS K and 1st) wore an orange shirt with a pumpkin smile face on it on Halloween. She got in trouble because it broke the dress code of no pictures on clothing.

HA! Yeah...heart gang signs and smiling pumpkins are some SKEEERY stuff....*snicker with an added eyeroll!* hahaha

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

BTW I really think it's awesome how involved and supportive you and your husband are.

You know after all that you've been through and how connected you are in the community your story would make a great article in the local newspaper or even a good segment on the news.  If you pitch it right that is, Homeschooler discriminated against by public schools.  Let's face it news people love juicy stuff like that and given how involved your son is, and how many friend it sounds like he has they would have witnesses to interview and it might even shed some light on a sensitive subject that most like to skirt around which is the fact that Homeschoolers do indeed get discriminated against... just an idea.

Regardless I hope your son doesn't get too discouraged.  My son has long hair and all of my children interact with their homeschool, public and private school friends.  So far we've not ran into the issues you have but I'm sure it would be a hard thing for them to understand given there's no reason for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)