Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you do for daycare? Please help!

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM
  • 14 Replies

Sorry I know I'm brand new to this group so its a bit early to shout "HELP" but I could really use some advice from other homeschooling moms.

I got sort of "thrown in" to homeschooling a year ago when I moved into an apartment that I was subleasing, and then couldn't get ahold of the people I was subleasing from to come with me to the new school and sign forms/show documentation to establish residency. After several weeks of begging the school to let my kids start attending (to no avail I might add), I threw my hands in the air and asked my kids what they thought about homeschooling. I was astounded by their response, since they were completely in favor and relieved that they would never have to deal with a bully again. So I embarked on a crash course in homeschooling so to speak.

Fast forward a year, I now live in a different residence but unfortunately the public school system here is so terrible that the district lost their accredidation! My oldest child attends school in the school district that his father and grandparents live in, I still homeschool my younger two children. I love homeschooling them, but I feel like I've been flying by the seat of my pants here. I am a single mom, I have sole custody of my younger two children (another way of saying their father hasn't been around in a decade), and very little help with child support. I work from home by writing, babysitting on occasion, etc. I had a little money saved when this all started but that has long since disappeared. I'm struggling hard financially, trying to juggle all of this. I do not want to apply for welfare, yet I'm reaching the point that I can not look at any item in my house (right down to toilet paper) without calculating how many days I have left before I run out of it.

I do not have any blood relatives nearby that can help me with babysitting. I'm lucky if I can have a few hours to myself every couple of months. I don't know where to begin with daycare as my homeschooled kids are age 10 and 11, getting a bit old for professional daycares. I want to keep homeschooling, particularly since the schools here are inferior AND unsafe. However, I know that I can't keep on the way I have been going. I need some help with daycare so I can work more but don't know where to start.

I would appreciate any suggestions at all. Whether its ways to make extra money, find reliable yet not crazy expensive babysitters, or even keep my kids occupied more so I can hear myself think.

by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katzmeow726
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Have you looked to local homeschool groups to see if any moms would be willing to rotate days?  I'm sure you're not the only single mom home schooler!  Each day, the kdis can spend it at a different house, doing some of their work, reading, and projects. "formal teaching" is still your jurisdiction. 
  Or ask around at churches and see if they have day supervision for situations like yours

Ask around and see if any of the moms would be interested in setting up something like that.  Y'all can even do it on neutral ground too.  Maybe a church would be willing to loan a sunday school classroom or something? 

annakairi
by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:46 PM

thanks for your reply katz! that is a good idea! I particularly like the idea of neutral ground. I was a bit uncomfortable with the thought of joining a homeschooling moms group then piping up with a babysitting co-op suggestion just out of the blue. The idea of doing it on neutral ground, may be a little difficult but would certainly encourage more moms to participate. Even if it doesn't come to fruition and we have to exchange care in our homes, still gives me a neutral opening.

And I must admit I really didn't think that there would be that many homeschooling moms that are single parents. Because I feel like I'm crazy sometimes trying to be mom, dad and teacher. But now that I consider it there must be moms in situations like mine that homeschool too just out of necessity and may need help just as much if not more than I do.

Thanks again for your reply, I'm off to research some homeschooling support groups and church programs.

by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 2:03 AM

At 10 and 11, they should be doing pretty long long sustained reading and writing. Maybe assign them independent research projects. Are they boys or girls? Could you get them started on some new craft, like crochet, simple carpentry, cross-stitch, latch hook, painting? Do they have fun board games to play together? Do you have a yard they could work/play in for a while? 

wright1212
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 8:47 AM

OK I have a few questions, then ideas. So for income you babysitting and writing. Your biggest problem is getting work done. Is that right? OR is it needing time alone? Now my next question is what is your living situation, apt? house? duplex? ect. Have you thought about doing family home daycare? Or is that something you do? Check your state laws, but here in TN you can keep 3 kids without a license, but then could read the standards to ensure you are following reccomendations. Here you can charge $100 per child per week, I am sure $300 for any family would help. Also DONT be ashamed of food stamps. If you qualify then take advantage. People who abuse that priveledge give it a bad name, but there are times when families need that to help through tough times. Like when my 2 kiddos were 1,3 and DH and I both in college and I couldnt work due to sons disability (no daycare would take him). Then when DH got a better job we told them we didnt need them anymore.

If the home daycare idea works for you, messege me! I train preschool teachers and can give you TONS of ideas. ALSO if you did that idea find ways on weekends to get alone time. Sometimes DH and I will take the kids to church and go to the store...alone. haha. But also sports, homeschool coops, ect could help.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:15 AM

That's a tough situation. I'll pray you find an answer! Good luck!

luvthesoap
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I would call the Dept.of Social Servicesn your area. In KY where I live they have a program for low income families to help pay for childcare. I used it before when mykids where younger. It paid for ALL of my childcrae cost. IF that dont help I would start contacting local churches that have a childcrae program. Maybe thay have a sliding scale  cost based on your income.

Also they are drect selling comapnis you can join . Some are expensive e to start but I know Avon only costs $10 to get started.  And this is good time to start because peoplel are shopping for the Hoildays. Just a thought.

Good Luck Momma!

Betty iKY

oredeb
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:03 PM

i was single and homeschooling for about 8 years(till i remarried), i cleaned houses, babysat, homeschooled other kids, canned for people, cut their wood, shopped for them, grew a garden and sold vegetables, kept chickens sold eggs, kept bunnies, sold them for meat, did beadwork and sold it,  for money to live on, but i didnt need daycare i just took the kids with me, as for free time, at night there was a lot of free time after the kids went to bed, or you could join homeschool co-op and send the kids a couple times a week or so, trade off watching kids with other moms, kids could join a sports team,

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I was going to give some advise but all the other lady s gave basically the same advise I was going to give, so I will just let you know that I will pray that you find something to work for you!

hottmommi42
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 3:22 AM
Is there a boys and girls club around? They are old enough to participate and to help tutor and whatnot. I am so proud of you for truely doing what is best for your kids! Go mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

This is me!  I got some business cards from Vistaprint, put the word out through the homeschool grapevine, and anyone else I could think of.  My motto is- if it can be done with kids in tow I'll do it.  Everything from lawn care to taxi sevice.  I grocery shop for a disabled woman, I dogsit, heck I chicken sit.

Quoting oredeb:

i was single and homeschooling for about 8 years(till i remarried), i cleaned houses, babysat, homeschooled other kids, canned for people, cut their wood, shopped for them, grew a garden and sold vegetables, kept chickens sold eggs, kept bunnies, sold them for meat, did beadwork and sold it,  for money to live on, but i didnt need daycare i just took the kids with me, as for free time, at night there was a lot of free time after the kids went to bed, or you could join homeschool co-op and send the kids a couple times a week or so, trade off watching kids with other moms, kids could join a sports team,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)