Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you do for daycare? Please help!

Posted by   + Show Post

Sorry I know I'm brand new to this group so its a bit early to shout "HELP" but I could really use some advice from other homeschooling moms.

I got sort of "thrown in" to homeschooling a year ago when I moved into an apartment that I was subleasing, and then couldn't get ahold of the people I was subleasing from to come with me to the new school and sign forms/show documentation to establish residency. After several weeks of begging the school to let my kids start attending (to no avail I might add), I threw my hands in the air and asked my kids what they thought about homeschooling. I was astounded by their response, since they were completely in favor and relieved that they would never have to deal with a bully again. So I embarked on a crash course in homeschooling so to speak.

Fast forward a year, I now live in a different residence but unfortunately the public school system here is so terrible that the district lost their accredidation! My oldest child attends school in the school district that his father and grandparents live in, I still homeschool my younger two children. I love homeschooling them, but I feel like I've been flying by the seat of my pants here. I am a single mom, I have sole custody of my younger two children (another way of saying their father hasn't been around in a decade), and very little help with child support. I work from home by writing, babysitting on occasion, etc. I had a little money saved when this all started but that has long since disappeared. I'm struggling hard financially, trying to juggle all of this. I do not want to apply for welfare, yet I'm reaching the point that I can not look at any item in my house (right down to toilet paper) without calculating how many days I have left before I run out of it.

I do not have any blood relatives nearby that can help me with babysitting. I'm lucky if I can have a few hours to myself every couple of months. I don't know where to begin with daycare as my homeschooled kids are age 10 and 11, getting a bit old for professional daycares. I want to keep homeschooling, particularly since the schools here are inferior AND unsafe. However, I know that I can't keep on the way I have been going. I need some help with daycare so I can work more but don't know where to start.

I would appreciate any suggestions at all. Whether its ways to make extra money, find reliable yet not crazy expensive babysitters, or even keep my kids occupied more so I can hear myself think.

by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Replies (11-14):
oredeb
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM

hahaha it works doenst it! i never had to send the kids to baby sitter, i did the same work at only things i could bring them with me. those were fun years!

Quoting cedailey:

This is me!  I got some business cards from Vistaprint, put the word out through the homeschool grapevine, and anyone else I could think of.  My motto is- if it can be done with kids in tow I'll do it.  Everything from lawn care to taxi sevice.  I grocery shop for a disabled woman, I dogsit, heck I chicken sit.

Quoting oredeb:

i was single and homeschooling for about 8 years(till i remarried), i cleaned houses, babysat, homeschooled other kids, canned for people, cut their wood, shopped for them, grew a garden and sold vegetables, kept chickens sold eggs, kept bunnies, sold them for meat, did beadwork and sold it,  for money to live on, but i didnt need daycare i just took the kids with me, as for free time, at night there was a lot of free time after the kids went to bed, or you could join homeschool co-op and send the kids a couple times a week or so, trade off watching kids with other moms, kids could join a sports team,

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

You guys rock!

Quoting oredeb:

hahaha it works doenst it! i never had to send the kids to baby sitter, i did the same work at only things i could bring them with me. those were fun years!

Quoting cedailey:

This is me!  I got some business cards from Vistaprint, put the word out through the homeschool grapevine, and anyone else I could think of.  My motto is- if it can be done with kids in tow I'll do it.  Everything from lawn care to taxi sevice.  I grocery shop for a disabled woman, I dogsit, heck I chicken sit.

Quoting oredeb:

i was single and homeschooling for about 8 years(till i remarried), i cleaned houses, babysat, homeschooled other kids, canned for people, cut their wood, shopped for them, grew a garden and sold vegetables, kept chickens sold eggs, kept bunnies, sold them for meat, did beadwork and sold it,  for money to live on, but i didnt need daycare i just took the kids with me, as for free time, at night there was a lot of free time after the kids went to bed, or you could join homeschool co-op and send the kids a couple times a week or so, trade off watching kids with other moms, kids could join a sports team,

cedailey
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Oh it works, and it's worth it, but I do stay just over broke.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Have you thought of a college student. Maybe go to a college near you and post a flyer? How about your church? Maybe a homeschooling group has some older home schooled children that need some extra money. Try yahoo groups  :) I hope that helps. Where do you live ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN