Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My preschooler is driving me nuts!!

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM
  • 18 Replies

How do you teach your preschooler with out wanting to throw him across the room!??!? 

Love My Kids
Trying For Third

by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't I just played with them! At that age games are so much more fun then seat work! We would make up games, sing, play with blocks, a marble maze, play doh, color anything that they thought where fun.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, what exactly is he doing that makes you want to throw him across the room? :)
I totally get it. I would like a sound proof box occasionally so I can teach my 6yo without my 2yo bugging or distracting.

I do agree with above though. Besides maybe having circle time to practice the calendar and reading a story, the weather and some counting, I'd just play. How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My son liked to pretend everyday was opposite day. If I asked him to point out the circle, he would point to every shape but that. Same thing with colors and numbers. He's six now and still does it occasionally and it's hard not to flip out. When he was younger, I just stopped trying to get him to show what he knew. It worked, after about three months of just pointing out things, he started wantingto show me stuff, too. He never would do his ABCs for Grandma, but he knew them.

oredeb
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahah sorry! my kids are grown!  yes what is he doing?

maybe in short spruts teach him, maybe hes not ready! playing and jumping and dancing and singing are also learning!

AMomForever07
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 3:49 PM

So here's what's up...  :)

I have been following the free hubbardscupboard.com curriculum for 4's.  It's a great site!  My son is learning sight words and starting to grasp how to sound out 3 letter words like "map" and "ham" and he gets the idea.  Academically, he's right on, I think.  He knows all his ABC's and can tell you the sound for all 26 letters...he's 4 1/2...he seems to like it, but some days he won't sit still or stop fidgeting to listen to what I'm teaching him.  He just completely ignores what I told him to or to not do...maybe it's a discipline problem?  When I spend time with he he stays out of trouble.  I don't know if it's me and I'm being impatient some days and my attitude is causing him to act up or maybe I need to get more creative to constantly keep him moving...he takes after my hubby more...has a  lot of energy to burn...plus my hubby is ADD...not that I'm classifying my son, he's too young...but to give you an idea...we only spend maybe an hour and a half at the table 4 days a week...should I break it up more?...I'm frutrated...And my worry is will this be what it's going to be like for the next 12 years???  

Love My Kids
Trying For Third

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Would that be an hour and half at one time?  I would definately break it up more.  I started with 5 minutes at a time and just gradually increased it as they got older. There are so many things you can that are fun.  There are puzzles, crafts, play doh, legos for math and colors.  You can even use legos to make letters.  4 is still preschool age.  Preschool should be child directed.  Play and learn together.  I would concentrate more on reading together.  Take nature walks together and talk about the things as you see them.  Does he do things you tell him to do outside of school time?  If he does then it probably more a school issue more than a discipline issue.  Since he is only 4 I would say take a  6 months off and just read and play together.  I would get a dry erase paper and put it on the wall and use that for writing letters and drawing.  Sing songs together and remember to make it fun.

Quoting AMomForever07:

I have been following the free hubbardscupboard.com curriculum for 4's.  It's a great site!  My son is learning sight words and starting to grasp how to sound out 3 letter words like "map" and "ham" and he gets the idea.  Academically, he's right on, I think.  He knows all his ABC's and can tell you the sound for all 26 letters...he's 4 1/2...he seems to like it, but some days he won't sit still or stop fidgeting to listen to what I'm teaching him.  He just completely ignores what I told him to or to not do...maybe it's a discipline problem?  When I spend time with he he stays out of trouble.  I don't know if it's me and I'm being impatient some days and my attitude is causing him to act up or maybe I need to get more creative to constantly keep him moving...he takes after my hubby more...has a  lot of energy to burn...plus my hubby is ADD...not that I'm classifying my son, he's too young...but to give you an idea...we only spend maybe an hour and a half at the table 4 days a week...should I break it up more?...I'm frutrated...And my worry is will this be what it's going to be like for the next 12 years???  

AMomForever07
by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM

thanks for the ideas, mamas!  I'm realizing some things here from all your input.  what do y'all say about schedule and actual curriculum for a preschooler?  I can break stuff up through out the whole day, add some games and some more crafts, but incorporate that into the curriculum I'm using, or just get rid of the curriculum althogether and incorporate learning in our every day activities?...or both?  I love the nature walk idea!  Maybe do a nature journal together?!?  I want to make this fun for him!

AMomForever07
by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Discipline is something I'm sorta struggling with right now...  :(  He's such a good boy when he;s by himself and occupied, or with daddy, but when his 21 mos old sister is in arms reach or he's bored, he becomes psycho kid!...lol...I'm exaggerating, but he does have some listening issues.  I know he hears me because I've asked him to tell me what I just told him and he tells me exactly what I said.  That is something else i've been struggling with...

Quoting jen2150:

Would that be an hour and half at one time?  I would definately break it up more.  I started with 5 minutes at a time and just gradually increased it as they got older. There are so many things you can that are fun.  There are puzzles, crafts, play doh, legos for math and colors.  You can even use legos to make letters.  4 is still preschool age.  Preschool should be child directed.  Play and learn together.  I would concentrate more on reading together.  Take nature walks together and talk about the things as you see them.  Does he do things you tell him to do outside of school time?  If he does then it probably more a school issue more than a discipline issue.  Since he is only 4 I would say take a  6 months off and just read and play together.  I would get a dry erase paper and put it on the wall and use that for writing letters and drawing.  Sing songs together and remember to make it fun.

Quoting AMomForever07:

Love My Kids
Trying For Third

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are looking for journals I would try  bare books.  They are reasonable and very fun for kids.  From what you said I would drop the curriculum and focus on discpline.  Read books, draw and color, use legos to teach math, patterns and letters, do fun projects.  Another fun thing for preschoolers is to put together a giant world floor puzzle together.  My kids loved racing their hot wheels all over it when we were finished. 

As far as discipline goes be consistent and spend lots of time training him how to behave.  Teach him what to do and  what not to do.  You can books how to treat others at the library and read those together.  My youngest was a very difficult preschooler.  He was very strong willed.  I never though he would catch on but he did.  His strong will is actually a strength.  It keeps him working hard on his goal.  The trick to get him focused on the right things.  Don't let him get away with anything and he will catch on but it may take some time.  Good luck.  Stay strong.

Quoting AMomForever07:

Discipline is something I'm sorta struggling with right now...  :(  He's such a good boy when he;s by himself and occupied, or with daddy, but when his 21 mos old sister is in arms reach or he's bored, he becomes psycho kid!...lol...I'm exaggerating, but he does have some listening issues.  I know he hears me because I've asked him to tell me what I just told him and he tells me exactly what I said.  That is something else i've been struggling with...

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting AMomForever07:

AMomForever07
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM

thank you so much for your input!  It is greatly recieved!  My preschooler is strong-willed for sure!  He is stubborn just like his mommy  :)  And you're right!  It is a strength, but our biggest strengths can also be our biggest weakness.  I need to teach him when to use it and when not to.  I'm also learning that my approach to him to get him to do something with me or for me makes such a HUGE difference.  I'm trying to be more creative in that area, too.  But sometimes, I don't have time to figure that out, and it back fires.  Thank you for the encouragement!...and the link!  :)  

Quoting jen2150:

If you are looking for journals I would try  bare books.  They are reasonable and very fun for kids.  From what you said I would drop the curriculum and focus on discpline.  Read books, draw and color, use legos to teach math, patterns and letters, do fun projects.  Another fun thing for preschoolers is to put together a giant world floor puzzle together.  My kids loved racing their hot wheels all over it when we were finished. 

As far as discipline goes be consistent and spend lots of time training him how to behave.  Teach him what to do and  what not to do.  You can books how to treat others at the library and read those together.  My youngest was a very difficult preschooler.  He was very strong willed.  I never though he would catch on but he did.  His strong will is actually a strength.  It keeps him working hard on his goal.  The trick to get him focused on the right things.  Don't let him get away with anything and he will catch on but it may take some time.  Good luck.  Stay strong.

Quoting AMomForever07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)