Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My preschooler is driving me nuts!!

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you teach your preschooler with out wanting to throw him across the room!??!? 

Love My Kids
Trying For Third

by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Replies (11-18):
oredeb
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

hi momforever, if it was me, i'd not buy a curr. but would incorporate learning into your day, learning with m and ms, or socks, bugs, or marbles(math, subtration or addition ) painting on large paper w/ a big paint brush- helps hand eye cordination(eventually you can draw shapes for him to paint inside of) reading to him for however long you can, going for hike- learn so much about colors, numbers, science, history, yes nature studies are fantastic! we'd pack a lunch and take our notebooks and head out, sit and draw the best we could what we saw, a worm dangling from a leaf, explain about why the leaves change color, etc catch bugs and study them under a cheap magnifing glass, or lay down on the ground and watch ants! count how many birds you see(make a chart!), fun ideas here  , grow worms together  , watch the squirrels gather and bury there food   , etc   http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

Quoting AMomForever07:

thanks for the ideas, mamas!  I'm realizing some things here from all your input.  what do y'all say about schedule and actual curriculum for a preschooler?  I can break stuff up through out the whole day, add some games and some more crafts, but incorporate that into the curriculum I'm using, or just get rid of the curriculum althogether and incorporate learning in our every day activities?...or both?  I love the nature walk idea!  Maybe do a nature journal together?!?  I want to make this fun for him!

AMomForever07
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Thank you for your input!  And thank you for the link!  I'll check it out!  These are the things I can see my son loving to do.  That is the type of kid he is!  That's the thing...I feel like a curriculum was becoming a little restricting and I don't want it to be something where neither of us feel like doing it.  I'm a planner so I gotta plan it out.  It is easy for me to follow along with something, but that may not be what's best for Benjamin.  Thank you so much for sharing!  I'll write these ideas down and try them out  :)  ...I feel like I don't have a clue what I'm doing sometimes since he's my first child and it's my first time homeschooling.  

Quoting oredeb:

hi momforever, if it was me, i'd not buy a curr. but would incorporate learning into your day, learning with m and ms, or socks, bugs, or marbles(math, subtration or addition ) painting on large paper w/ a big paint brush- helps hand eye cordination(eventually you can draw shapes for him to paint inside of) reading to him for however long you can, going for hike- learn so much about colors, numbers, science, history, yes nature studies are fantastic! we'd pack a lunch and take our notebooks and head out, sit and draw the best we could what we saw, a worm dangling from a leaf, explain about why the leaves change color, etc catch bugs and study them under a cheap magnifing glass, or lay down on the ground and watch ants! count how many birds you see(make a chart!), fun ideas here  , grow worms together  , watch the squirrels gather and bury there food   , etc   http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

Quoting AMomForever07:

thanks for the ideas, mamas!  I'm realizing some things here from all your input.  what do y'all say about schedule and actual curriculum for a preschooler?  I can break stuff up through out the whole day, add some games and some more crafts, but incorporate that into the curriculum I'm using, or just get rid of the curriculum althogether and incorporate learning in our every day activities?...or both?  I love the nature walk idea!  Maybe do a nature journal together?!?  I want to make this fun for him!

jakesgal88
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think for 41/2 he sounds like he is doing wonderfully! Probably above average. Many children do not even know these things going into kindergarten. My five year old cannot read words yet. I would say that you need to stop trying to have things a certain way and just go with the flow. I know its hard! I like to be in control of everything and i'm new to homeschooling so I need to find a way to make it fun too! It's hard to try to explain something that seems so simple to someone else sometimes too. lol. I'd say listen to the experienced HS moms and just go with the flow, and don't worry about his devlopment, like I said he seems to be doing great!

Quoting AMomForever07:

So here's what's up...  :)

I have been following the free hubbardscupboard.com curriculum for 4's.  It's a great site!  My son is learning sight words and starting to grasp how to sound out 3 letter words like "map" and "ham" and he gets the idea.  Academically, he's right on, I think.  He knows all his ABC's and can tell you the sound for all 26 letters...he's 4 1/2...he seems to like it, but some days he won't sit still or stop fidgeting to listen to what I'm teaching him.  He just completely ignores what I told him to or to not do...maybe it's a discipline problem?  When I spend time with he he stays out of trouble.  I don't know if it's me and I'm being impatient some days and my attitude is causing him to act up or maybe I need to get more creative to constantly keep him moving...he takes after my hubby more...has a  lot of energy to burn...plus my hubby is ADD...not that I'm classifying my son, he's too young...but to give you an idea...we only spend maybe an hour and a half at the table 4 days a week...should I break it up more?...I'm frutrated...And my worry is will this be what it's going to be like for the next 12 years???  

I-Love-My-Girls
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm also pre schooling my four year old =) She is driving me nuts also lol She just wants to play.. and really.. it helps to take breaks away from some serious studying. I also home school my third grader. With the help of the lovely ladies here in this group, I got started with ease. I say, just take lots of breaks. Sometimes, while playing you can incorporate learning in there too! I know it's very tiresome. My nine year old has ADHD. She doesn't ever want to sit still and she is constantly needing attention. I also have a one year old in the mix. She screams allot and needs attention too! So... you can only imagine my day. I am here with the three all by myself.. My husband works late.. So, I have to be the strong one! Good luck!

AMomForever07
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Aw, thank you for the encouragement jakesgal88!  :)  I'm beginngin to learn that he'll eventually get it, even if it isn't now, or right away!  Patience is something I am still working on!  It's painful sometimes!  :)

Quoting jakesgal88:

I think for 41/2 he sounds like he is doing wonderfully! Probably above average. Many children do not even know these things going into kindergarten. My five year old cannot read words yet. I would say that you need to stop trying to have things a certain way and just go with the flow. I know its hard! I like to be in control of everything and i'm new to homeschooling so I need to find a way to make it fun too! It's hard to try to explain something that seems so simple to someone else sometimes too. lol. I'd say listen to the experienced HS moms and just go with the flow, and don't worry about his devlopment, like I said he seems to be doing great!

Quoting AMomForever07:

So here's what's up...  :)

I have been following the free hubbardscupboard.com curriculum for 4's.  It's a great site!  My son is learning sight words and starting to grasp how to sound out 3 letter words like "map" and "ham" and he gets the idea.  Academically, he's right on, I think.  He knows all his ABC's and can tell you the sound for all 26 letters...he's 4 1/2...he seems to like it, but some days he won't sit still or stop fidgeting to listen to what I'm teaching him.  He just completely ignores what I told him to or to not do...maybe it's a discipline problem?  When I spend time with he he stays out of trouble.  I don't know if it's me and I'm being impatient some days and my attitude is causing him to act up or maybe I need to get more creative to constantly keep him moving...he takes after my hubby more...has a  lot of energy to burn...plus my hubby is ADD...not that I'm classifying my son, he's too young...but to give you an idea...we only spend maybe an hour and a half at the table 4 days a week...should I break it up more?...I'm frutrated...And my worry is will this be what it's going to be like for the next 12 years???  

AMomForever07
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM

WOW!  You really got your work cut out for you!  I admire your strength!  :)  Yes, I agree with the breaks.  My son needs life to not be so boring and so routined.  See, that's the way I am.  I need routine.  My hubby on the other hand needs every day to be different in order to keep life interesting for him.  Thank God his job is like that or he'd go crazy!  My son, is juust like him!  I had always figured for my son, I can just do the same thing as for myself to get things done, but it doesn't work that way for a preschooler, period.  In those breaks, I was thinking play time, maybe some drawing time, run outside for a little bit, learning games, or just regular games and get creative with stuff like that.  Yesterday went better, and it seems to be working!  Thank you so much for your input!  And good luck to you, too!!  :)  

Quoting I-Love-My-Girls:

I'm also pre schooling my four year old =) She is driving me nuts also lol She just wants to play.. and really.. it helps to take breaks away from some serious studying. I also home school my third grader. With the help of the lovely ladies here in this group, I got started with ease. I say, just take lots of breaks. Sometimes, while playing you can incorporate learning in there too! I know it's very tiresome. My nine year old has ADHD. She doesn't ever want to sit still and she is constantly needing attention. I also have a one year old in the mix. She screams allot and needs attention too! So... you can only imagine my day. I am here with the three all by myself.. My husband works late.. So, I have to be the strong one! Good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2011 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

You've been given some great advice!

oredeb
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

i know what ;you mean im a planner also, even though i didnt use curr, i still needed to write out a weekly lesson plan for me! i put in it what i want to accomplish in the coming week, but if i dont do it, i just add it to next week!

Quoting AMomForever07:

Thank you for your input!  And thank you for the link!  I'll check it out!  These are the things I can see my son loving to do.  That is the type of kid he is!  That's the thing...I feel like a curriculum was becoming a little restricting and I don't want it to be something where neither of us feel like doing it.  I'm a planner so I gotta plan it out.  It is easy for me to follow along with something, but that may not be what's best for Benjamin.  Thank you so much for sharing!  I'll write these ideas down and try them out  :)  ...I feel like I don't have a clue what I'm doing sometimes since he's my first child and it's my first time homeschooling.  

Quoting oredeb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN