Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

AP testing

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

Have your kids ever had to take AP tests to "prove" they know something.  I talked with a college admissions person at a competitive university and he said that with lab science classes need outside validation if it is on a home school transcript.  He suggested taking the AP Chemistry test to show that my daughter knows her stuff.

Have you heard of this?  Is this new?  Do you have experience with any of these tests? 

by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Most colleges want proof of what you know. It's cheaper to take a test than to pay for a useless chemistry class to be able to prove your kid knows his/her stuff. 8)

JulieBrown
by Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Do you happen to know how hard the AP test is?  Any suggestions for studying?  The test is in May and I was wondering how much kids study for this sort of thing?

Quoting mem82:

Most colleges want proof of what you know. It's cheaper to take a test than to pay for a useless chemistry class to be able to prove your kid knows his/her stuff. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I'm sorry, I don't. I would email a few professors at the college and ask what they suggest. 8)

Quoting JulieBrown:

Do you happen to know how hard the AP test is?  Any suggestions for studying?  The test is in May and I was wondering how much kids study for this sort of thing?

Quoting mem82:

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM

You can usually check out an AP study guide from the library to see what it covers. They are pretty difficult tests. AP classes are at least 2-3 times more advanced than the general version of a high school class.

JulieBrown
by Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Thanks.  I will check out the test and see what it entails. 

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I would strongly recommend that unless you know a lot about AP exams you arrange for your daughter to take an AP class.  There are a number offered through online sources -- including Stanford Online High School.  I sat for a number of AP exams, and although I did do one "self-study,"  the ones I passed with 5 (the highest score at that time 30-odd years ago) were the ones with the teachers that knew their stuff AND knew the tests.   As with most exams, there is an "art" to taking the the AP, and they are not like the SAT. 

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I agree to at the least get a study guide...at best have your daughter take an AP class online or get the materials for one and have her go through it at home.  It will count as college credit for that class.  I highly encourage taking AP tests so your child can clep out of some of their general ed requirements.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)